We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gess Tours - reviews??

Which Odessa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
56 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Gess Tours - reviews??

Anyone had any experience with Gess Tours (Гесс тур)? I am thinking of taking their ferry from Ilyichevsk to Istanbul in late March/early April - they have informed me that this service is running in place of the "Princess Elena" cruise trip from Odessa to Istanbul at the moment.

Would love to hear any experience with this company, good or bad, to help me decide!

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gess Tours - reviews??

Gess tour is a Sevastopol based company that previously operated by Sevastopol - Istanbul ferry. Indeed, there is Princess Elena in Odessa port, but curious is that website address and phone written onboard is different from Gess.

Paris, France
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Gess Tours - reviews??

Sir

could you please recommend Ferryboat service

from Istanbul to Crimea or to Odessa

Thanks

Jerry

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gess Tours - reviews??

I didn't try the service from Gess Tours but they do claim to have one from Odessa to Istanbul and back...here's their site: http://www.gess-tour.com/, unfortunately only in Russian (I use Google Chrome to translate). The contact details are on the bottom right, and they did respond in Engiish when I emailed them.

If you take their trip, please write a review or comment for others!

California City...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Gess Tours - reviews??

I am California based also interested in this ferry.

Berlin----Kiev ----Odessa---- Istanbul; Traveling Mid- May 2012.

How was it, were the passengers from all over Eastern Europe ? Meals ?

Parties ? Gals (; ? I understand they are shared berths, how safe is it to whip out a small netbook computer I imagine no WI-Fi service.

Thanks, SS,

Istanbul
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Gess Tours - reviews??

You can take the Sea Partner from Odessa (Ilyichevsk) to Istanbul with either Gess Tours or London Sky. They're different companies, but they book you on the same boat. I'd suggest the latter. Gess is really just a middle-man and will forward your ticket request onto London Sky anyway. What's more, the taxi to Ilyichevsk leaves from the London Sky office, which is where you'll pick your tickets up from on the morning of your departure.

The London Sky people speak English, as do the border guards in Ilyichevsk and the boat's staff.

The boat is a no-frills affair that you'll share with anywhere between fifty and eighty Ukrainian and Turkish truck drivers and a small handful of other tourists. It's a unique alternative to taking a train or bus overland and I reccomend it highly. The food is mass-produced but hearty, with a half-decent salad bar. There's no wi-fi, but we had our computers out the whole time without a problem. There aren't any parties per se, but the bar is open in the evenings and the truck drivers buy up full bottles of vodka and cognac to see them through the night. (If you speak Russian or Turkish, I'm sure you could join them.) It's perfectly safe for women and children.

I left Odessa on April 30, 2012, arriving in Istanbul on May 2. The information above is thus all pretty recent.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gess Tours - reviews??

That's very interesting, mclayfield. Thanks for sharing!

7. Re: Gess Tours - reviews??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:41