We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

about spelling mistakes in my surname...

Kharkiv, Ukraine
4 posts
Save Topic
about spelling mistakes in my surname...

i booked an eticket online from ukraine to india and there is a spelling mistake in my surname ... can you please tell me while check in there will be problem or not...because the airline said that... we cant change the surname... as you have booked the ticket.. please tell me t=while check in there will be a problem or not????.

Kharkiv, Ukraine
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

my ticket is on 22 june2013 from kharkiv... to delhi( india)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

Hi ritz295369

Which airline did you book with? You mention «the airline said that... we cant change the surname...»; this implies you got in touch with the company, right? Didn’t you ask them about potential problems at check-in because of the misspelling?

Cyprus
Level Contributor
49 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

We have done the same before and they changed the ticket name ok.

Go to kharkov airport and speak to the airline office who your flying with.

They speak English so you will be ok.

Kharkiv, Ukraine
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

i hv told dem about this... dey said... we cant change..d spelling.. and said it depend upon d represntative...while check in..

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

Well then it sounds like you are left to rely on your eloquence and unbeatable Ukrainian whateverism.

Ivano-Frankivsk...
Level Contributor
77 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

From my own experience - the airline must change your name if it was misspelled. I would suggest to contact them and be persistent, otherwise you are very likely to have problems at the check-in. Good luck with that.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

>>> the airline must change your name if it was misspelled

Why “must”?? It was not the airline’s mistake in the first place. In case of an e-ticket, I’d expect it to be the responsibility of the person who enters details to check their accuracy before booking, no?

That was why I asked the OP about the airline they booked with – different ones might have different policies. Some would insist on cancellation and reissuance.

P.S. The outcome might also depend on how serious the misspelling was – one letter only or a totally different name.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 15:06
Ivano-Frankivsk...
Level Contributor
77 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

You are right - the airline may charge the customer for changing the name, and there are indeed different kinds of policy on that. What I mean is that the airline is the service provider so it is the one whom the customer should contact.

Once my friend made a typo when booking me on a flight, and there was no problem of changing my name even though it was a low-cost airline.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

>>> What I mean is that the airline is the service provider so it is the one whom the customer should contact.

Fully subscribe.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: about spelling mistakes in my surname...

and rely on Ukrainian general respect to foreigners - don't kill me here pls. :) - don't be pushy approaching the airlines, go visit rather than talking on the phone: poor EN lang proficiency is still a big "issue" in Ukraine, if you come by their office chances are that they call the best speaker they have rather than saying plain "no". Ask for assistance, say that you didn't check well enough but that was also their agent's/employee oversight but you take the full responsibility for the "lack of attention", etc. Worked for me, hope will work for you too :)

Get answers to your questions about Kharkiv