We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

Vancouver
Level Contributor
357 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

For 3 or 4 nights early May mid week considering after leaving Dubrovnik Tuesday morning to spend time until sail/bike trip leaves out of Trogir on a Saturday to explore Split, Sibenik, Murter Island ( or would it be completely quiet there? ). We get an in depth tour on our bike trip of old town Trogir (anchored there last night) and 1 day Split so that part is covered. We are hikers and not big on crowds but this is early May. We would either bus to Split and rent car there or Pick up car in Dubrovnik if worth having for stops driving up coast like Ston .Opinions? If we stayed out side palace walls in Split is having car difficult? Could have car and spend for 2 nights up Sibenik way then drop off either Split or Trogir and spend 2 nights there. Thinking Split may be better to stay in as not in the airport flight path noise like Trogir.

Sibinek looks interesting to spend some time in or would early May be too limited for restaurants etc as early in season.

10 replies to this topic
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
60,973 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

I like the idea of renting a car in Dubrovnik and working your way up the coast with stops at places like Ston...how about staying in Primosten? Will you visit Krka?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
357 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

I thought Primosten was very small and might be limited in things opened that early in May. I have read that main interest here was climbing/walking up hill past the church and cemetery and looking at view Is Murter island worth visiting, as looks very pretty--- sure it is crazy mid summer? Have you ever stayed in any of these places or driven car in Split or would that be crazy to drive in.

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

I would rent a car when you leave Dubrovnik. I suggest looking into Makarska for 2 nights. Have not done it, but apparently great hiking here. The scenery is spectacular.

You could spend your other 2 nights in Sibenik. It will be quieter than July/Aug but is a working city so restaurants will be open. Murter will be very quiet in May but would be a nice drive. Slanica beach on Murter is one of my favorites but is packed like sardines in July/August. Tisno, Murter & Betina are all lovely little towns as well as Vodice & Tribunj...but they will be quiet.

If you didnt want to stay in Makarska then I would do 2 nights Sibenik, 2 Split. There are parking lots fairly close to the Palace gates, we did find it challenging to find one so I suggest mapping it out before hand (which we did not do). I think it was about $20/day. If you are not staying within the Palace then your accommodation may have parking.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

Ston has some of the longest walls in Europe, a great "mini Great Wall of China" hike. I'd also get in touch with an adventure agency like &Adventure (literally, andadventure) who do day to week long hikes in Dalmatia and on the islands. Hinterland Dalmatia, off the coast is great for hikes....places like Nin, Imotski and other cities and towns with wonderful terrain

Vancouver
Level Contributor
357 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

Hi Sightseeingcroatia---- I could not find your suggestion like & adventure Croatia website.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

www.andadventure.com

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,805 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

Maybe worth a look? Adrenaline adventures in Split

http://split.gg/adrenaline-adventures/

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,963 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

Murter will be very, very quiet in May

Vancouver
Level Contributor
357 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

Was only looking at going towards Murter for a drive if we rent a car. Still deciding that and whether to spend 2 nights in Sibenik and 2 nights Trogir or 3 nights Split and 1 night Trogir. We leave on a Saturday mid day for sailing bike trip out of Trogir the last night of this section of trip. After sail trip we have another 12 days for Istria, Slovenia and Zagreb.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,805 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek

Better go for 3 days Split, one night Trogir. Trogir is rather small (and you feared Primosten for that reason). Parking in Split:

http://split.gg/parking-in-split/

Split's Marjan hill is great for hiking:

http://split.gg/marjan-hill/

Reply to: Early May-- Base in Split or Sibinek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted