We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Australia
Level Contributor
404 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

I'm mulling over an itinerary for myself and my husband for next year and seeking help with one small part please.

The overall itinerary is below. We will be hiring a car in Zagreb and spending nights at the following:

Zagreb 3

Plitvice 1

Zadar 2

Sibernik 1

Split 2 (?)

Hvar 1 (?)

Dubrovnik 3

I have currently factored in a ferry trip from Split to Hvar, for one night, before heading on to Dubrovnik.

My question is whether other travelers consider the detour out to Hvar to be worth the extra effort for just one night? I expect this would mean returning our car in Split and then negotiating ferries, with luggage which doesn't excite me, firstly out to Hvar and then on to Dubrovnik.

I'm wondering if staying the extra night in Split instead would make the journey somewhat easier as we could just keep traveling down the coast by car.

Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

19 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,391 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Most people would say that going to Hvar for 1 night is not worth it. However, if you are keen on doing it and don't mind spending the money on ferries, why not? Just keep in mind that it might be difficult to fin accommodation for just 1 night in peak season.

If I were to do it, I would take the car. You don't need to return to Split. You can catch a ferry from Sucuraj to Drvenik.

I would return the car on reaching Dubrovnik. Car is a major hindrance in Dubrovnik, mainly due to scarce parking, unless you can find accommodation that provides free parking.

Australia
Level Contributor
404 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Ok. Thank you for that.

Have you been there at all? If so, I'm just wondering if the vista and vibe is very different from that we will experience staying along the coast on our other stops?

FWIW: I managed to book an apartment with great water views over the Old Town whilst in Dubrovnik. That might suffice and help to avoid extra hassle and costs?

Thanks again...much appreciated!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

If you would do Split-Hvar-Dubrovnik that would be catamarans, no ferries, as there is no ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,391 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Yes, I have been to Hvar. Personally I think it is very nice, but IMO there is nothing that unique about Hvar that you cannot experience someplace else on the mainland. Perhaps instead of going to Hvar for 1 night, you could drive to Dubrovnik via Mostar, or even stay in Mostar overnight. The next day, you could drive to Dubrovnik and spend the day in Ston and Peljesac Peninsula along the way.

Durham
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

You don't say what time of year you are visiting. If it is in the bathing season I would find 3 nights for an island between Split and Dubrovnik by taking a night off Zagreb and visiting Sibenik en route between Zadar and Split.

Australia
Level Contributor
404 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Point taken. We are planning this for Mid October. So whilst still warm our focus won't be on swimming.

We live by a beach in Australia and so get a lot of beach and swimming time there. The greater attraction for us on this Dalmatian trip is to experience the historic old towns along the coast. Thus, my pondering if an Island detour is really worth the effort to add to this experience. Ferries, catamarans and lugging cases is a little off-putting.

I see now from another reply that we will need to take a catamaran from Hvar to Dubrovnik so that means dropping the car from Split.

All pf these replies are helping me though so thank you...one and all!

Durham
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Probably would stick to the mainland in mid October. You could get to Hvar with a car by getting the ferry from Split to Stari Grad. You could then drive along Hvar and get the ferry from Sucuraj to Drvenik. However, the price for taking a car on the longer ferry routes is quite high and increasingly car hire firms charge extra to use the ferries. You could have the experience of an island by driving onto Pag, Murter or Ciovo.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Mid october is also the limit of catamarans very much reduced, so you are limited just to ferries

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Yes I would stick to the mainland in October. I like the suggestion of driving Split to Mostar for the night. It's a magical place especially in the evening. Make sure you let the car rental company know you will be driving in Bosnia.

I would consider taking the coastal route from Split on your way to Mostar, it will obviously be quite a bit longer but its worth it IMO as the Makarska Riviera is such a stunning drive.

Mali Ston on your way to Dubrovnik is a great plan as well or else do that & Peljesac/Korcula as a day trip from Dubrovnik.

I also recommend Krka after leaving Zadar (allow about 4 hours)

Edited: 06 November 2017, 14:31
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
61,085 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?

Agree with sticking to the mainland...Maybe stop for a night at a place like Makarska and if your apartment doesn't have parking in Dubrovnik then just turn the car in on arrival.

Reply to: Split detour to Hvar: worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted