We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

los angeles
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

Hello, we will have 4 full days in Split end of May before going on to Brac (Sutivan) and then Dubrovnik.

We plan on one full day to explore Split and hope to have a day by catamaran to Hvar. That leaves two days for combination of Krka, Trogir, Sibenik and Zadar by rental car.

We are NOT early risers on holiday and don't have to see everything everywhere.

Appreciate input on which makes most sense to pair for a day trip. Krka and then Sibenik? With possible stop at Rak Winery in Sibenik that looks lovely?

Stop in Trogir on our way to Zadar, since we want to be in Zadar for late afternoon and sunset?

And, last question, does going on a Sunday make a big difference to any of these destinations? Some places don't seem to be open Sundays, eg, the Museum of Glass in Zadar.

OR, is it a lot of "same, same" to visit Sibenik, Trogir and Zadar...should we consider dropping either Trogir or Sibenik?

Just checking if these "pairings" make sense for our day trips.

Many thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

Can you stay 1 night in Zadar? If so, visit Krka nP on thew way to Zadar. The next morning, drive to Split via Sibenik, Primosten and Trogir.

If you are set on day trips, then Krka Np and Zadar one day and Trogir, Primoten and Sibenik on another.

Apart from the museum, it is unlikely that Sunday will be any different than any other day.

"OR, is it a lot of "same, same" to visit Sibenik, Trogir and Zadar...should we consider dropping either Trogir or Sibenik?"

They are all unique in their own way and I wouldn't drop anything.

I have even added Primosten. Make sure to walk up to the top where the church and cemetery are for the best views in the area.

los angeles
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

@cromansydney - thx, we are committed to a day trip. Don't want to be packing and unpacking as this is supposed to be a leisurely trip! Hadn't occurred to me to pair Krka with Zadar, but guess that could make sense if we are going to end up in Zadar late afternoon through sunset.

Curious why you suggested the pairings that you did? And I had seen Primosten on other threads -- good addition if we have time.

Appreciate input from others!

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

Great suggestions from croman. For your Krka/Zadar day take the more direct A1 highway for different scenery from the slower coastal route (great highway to drive)

Sibenik, Primosten, Trogir would be another fabulous day trip. Take your time and enjoy the beautiful drive along the coast. Happy Planning!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
170 reviews
4. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

I suggested that pairing to get to Zadar the easiest possible way and avoid the coastal road altogether that day, which is much slower. Then next day, it is coastal road in one direction and the highway in the other, if you want to make it a bit faster. I would probably drive to Sibenik via the highway and take it easy on the coastal road on the way back.

los angeles
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

Thinking about our timing, wondering if pairing Krka with Sibenik makes more sense since we will likely spend more time at the National park.

Would it work just as well to pair Trogir and Zadar? Visit Trogir late morning and have late afternoon and sunset in Zadar?

What day the experts?

Edited: 06 April 2018, 06:10
los angeles
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

#5 Post should say: “What say the experts?”

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

That would work as well, although personally I would go with croman's suggestion. If you have your heart set on this paring then take the highway to Krka, visit Sibenik after (couple of hours, meal?) then highway back to Split.

For your other day, I would drive to Trogir (couple of hours) then enjoy the coastal route all the way to Zadar. Short stop at Primosten if you think you have the time, but as croman pointed out this will be much slower than the highway, but very scenic. Take the highway on your return to Split as croman suggested.

And did you feel the earthquake today alison?

Edited: 06 April 2018, 06:24
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
170 reviews
8. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

AS S S said, either option will work. I just think that Krka NP and Zadar on that first day, keeps you on thew highway the whole way. Then next day, you stay on the coastal road the whole way.

You owed still have enough time in Zadar on day 1 and some time on day 2.

Don't forget to include short visit to Primosten, 1-2 hours.

Edited: 06 April 2018, 07:08
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
170 reviews
9. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

That should read, 'you would still have enough time in Zadar' rather than 'you owed still have enough time in Zadar'.

los angeles
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar

@S S I did indeed feel the earthquake. My office building did a full sway even though it was only 5.3 and about 60 miles away!

Thx for validating other options for pairing. We will spend a day in Hvar, 4 days in Brac and likely drive the coastal route from Split to Dubrovnik. I think that gives us ample opportunity for coastal views so we may use the highway for our day trips even though that means skipping Primosten. We can’t see everything!

We also like the sound of Rak Winery outside Sibenik and could make a lovely dinner stop after Krka and wandering Sibenik. Since I don’t drink, I can be the designated driver following winery visit. ;-)

Reply to: Q's on day trips from Split - Sibenik, Trogir, Krka, Zadar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Split