We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

Which Split hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

Hi - any help welcome...

We are coming to Slip from Zagreb, so looking at the 15.20 train, but this arrives in Split after dark at 20.50 hours.

Is this unwise?

Anther train arrives in daylight, but it would mean getting up early and I am more "night-owl".

Also can anyone tell me exact location of the main train station (can't figure this on the map) and suggest good hotels nearby - easy to find in the dark?

No dark alleys!

Thanks.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

The train I took from Zagreb to Split at this time was fabulous (see blog about the train from Zagreb to Split at www.viewfromtheriva.wordpress.com) The trip is comfortable, they bring coffee or tea to your seat...but no food, so buy a sandwich or pack a lunch since the trip is 6 hours vs. 5 for the bus. But the dreamy scenery as the two car electric train winds its way through the countryside up into the mountains and then down to the sea is just wonderful.

The Split train station is just behind the bus station, which is just across the street from the ferry terminal....about a 10 minute walk along the waterfront to the center of the Old Town, which is teeming with people until midnight and beyond. You will be met by 10 or so people wanting to rent you a room or an apartment...they have photos and will walk you to their place....never had anyone complain about finding a nice place this way...or simply book a hotel or hostel or apartment (www.clicksplit.com is good) on line and ask them to meet you at the train station. No dark alleys, just cross over the tracks back into the station, go out the door and there is the waterfront, turn right and follow the waterfront to the Riva where all the taxi stands are and lots of people. The price of the train is close to the price of the bus...about $40-50. Enjoy!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

Thanks for those details - very reassuring. Also useful tips about the train.

I feel okay about arriving later now, but instead worry about lovely scenery we may miss in the darkness.

Have booked a room and they messaged for arrival time...

Cheers!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

you will get to see a lot of the countryside....and when night falls the lights and the outline of the sea near Kastela when the train comes down from the mountains is wonderful....the train has huge windows, only two cars, nice seats, maybe 40 people will be on it....large clean bathrooms....relax, enjoy, take photos!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

Hi - just thought I'd comment now I've arrived. Your description fitted the journey accurately except for an unexpected change... the track was under repair and the train stopped half-way at Gospic station and transferred us all to a bus.

I was alarmed as easily get travel-sick on buses, but fortunately it was a smooth fast route and managed the final 2 1/2 hours without incident. The bus even made up the lost time.

I must add we are very grateful to a young man from Split sitting beside us. He kindly translated announcements by the driver (there were minutes of confusion - this bus was going non-stop to Split but any for other destinations had to wait for a bus that had not arrived yet). He also provided a running guide on the landscape etc.

And the scenery was fantastic, thanks.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

Glad you had a safe trip--the "unforseen" aspect of train travel here is another reason most Croatians use the bus...but the train for me here is still magical despite the pokey speed.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

Hello there , unfortunately there are always unforseen moments. Hope you had a nice time!

7. Re: Train from Zagreb - arriving at night. Unwise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 05:15