We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Week in Split

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Full Week in Split

Ok, so not sure how we ended up doing this but we're going to be in Split for a full week, we got a great sobe right near the palace, but how are we going to fill all that time? me, wife and toddler so need to keep the travel time to a minimum. thinking of just relaxing at, is it, brela beach (?) and maybe doing an excursion to trogir and Hvar and fart around Split the rest of the time but I keep hearing Split is like a 2 day town tops. thoughts, opinions? are we just dumb americans? heck, i'm happy to just crack a bottle of vino and stare at the adriatic all week. thanks!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,263 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Week in Split

I think a week in Split is an ok thing. There are so many places you could venture to from there---- Roman ruins at Solin, Fortress at Klis, Krka Falls park,Plitvice, Bol, Hvar, etc.... or just sit at Bacvice Beach with your wife and child and enjoy the water, sun and sand. And no you aren't just dumb americans... you asked good questions.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Week in Split

If you have accommodation that you are happy with then you are set for a good holiday! Split has great food opportunities, great culture and great beaches. You can go to Trogir using the boat or bus, visit the Marijan peninsula for great views over Split, take the ferry to Supetar on Brac for the day etc etc. Enjoy!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Week in Split

You will spend very little time in your sobe. Just go to www.visitsplit.com, the official city website and see all there is to do. Lots of ferries to and from the islands for easy day trips; water taxi to Trogir, bus to Solin, Klis--down the coast an hour is Omis, further away is Brela, but beaches in and around Split are fine. Improved nightlife, better restaurants, wine bars, etc. so a week here will fly by with a mix of day trips, hanging aorund the Palace, going to the beach, etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Week in Split

hey thanks folks. water taxi to trogir sounds like my cup of tea, assuming there;s a bar. ; ) Very much looking forward to it.

Split, Croatia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Week in Split

I would not stay in the old town of Split, especially when you are travailing with a toddler. Look into beach areas of Split, like Bacvice or Znjan ... or, coastal town of Podstrana .... 10min drive from the old town of Split, or 10-15min bus ride. Podstrana has nice beaches and it's easy to get around from and explore other places .. Trogir, Omis, Solin, Klis.

From Split you can take day ferry trips to one of the islands ... Brac, Solta, Hvar .

Also, the $$$ of accommodations tend to be lower away from the old town.

Split is a great place to visit ..... walking around the old cobblestone streets is like living history and sitting on the "riva" to have a drink is wonderful experience.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Week in Split

hey thanks. its too late unfortunately--already paid for a flat in old town inside the walls. I told my wife not the best choice with a stroller but you know women. don't worry i'm getting her back by making her cook us dinner at least twice! (She loves to cook).

we're gonna do hvar for a night and hang and otherwise hang out at the local beaches weather permitting and sip cocktails on the riva. cannot wait. hope the little one likes it too but I hear that croatians love kids (unlike new yorkers). thanks!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Week in Split

You will be just fine. Split is great city, very old vibrant, night life, evening at Riva, daily trips in surrounding, great wine, lot of young people...

If your wife likes to cook, surprise her with fresh fish from fish market early in the morning. She would love to go on "green market" - the place locals are buying vegetables and fruits.

Go to Salona (Solin) and spend nice afternoon with kid in the Ruins of Capitol of Roman Province of Dalmatia.

There are numerous music events in Split during the Summer. I will never forget seeing Verdi's opera Aida in Split in the Summer of 1978!

Get some serious espresso for me on Riva while watching the most beautiful women on the Earth walking around!

Edited: 23 May 2012, 02:11
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Full Week in Split

Croatians are very child friendly and I'd probably have to agree with Tvrtko's last paragraph. I think it will be great to stay somewhere in the old palace area - 1,700 years of history over your head!

Edited: 23 May 2012, 09:27
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,263 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Full Week in Split

And yes Tvrtko is very much right!!

10. Re: Full Week in Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 June 2012, 16:05
Get answers to your questions about Split