We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
ny
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

We are planning to day trips from Split to Plitvice National Park on one day and to Trogir the next day.

I'm thinking if we could possibly do these trips ourselves - meaning getting bus tickets, and figuring out where to go, or it's better to go with an organized tour.

If we should go with a tour, which ones would you recommend? (e. Atlas tour?)

Thanks !

Trogir, Croatia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

depends how many people!!! My choise is private tour becouse that is best way to explore. You can decide everything and visit more places, but price is maybe the problem. You can contact me in private and I can try to help

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

Plitivice is a long journey and you would probably be pressed for time if you do it yourself as public buses tend to stop quite often. Putting a random date into the Split bus station timetable it appears that the first bus leaves at 8.30 am getting in at 12.52 pm. On the same day if you don't want to get the 2.52 pm back the next bus appears to go at 11.55 pm. I think people talk about waving down other buses passing the park but I am not sure how good this is in reality. I would book a trip - Atlas and many others are good.

Trogir on the other hand is very easy to visit by bus or using the boat that leaves from the Riva in Split. Once there Trogir is so small that so long as you have a guide book you will get by easily on your own. Either get the big inter-city bus or the boat - do not get the local bus #37 as it takes a long time and has no air-con. If you go on the bus you get off in Trogir at the big supermarket near the green market and when you come back you get on in the bus station.

The boat arrvies in the bit of Trogir that is on Ciovo island - you cross the bridge into Trogir.

See: ak-split.hr/EN/…VozniRedOdlazaka.aspx for buses and buraline.com/index.php/2012-05-07-10-04-08 for the boat.

The bus costs about 20 kuna each way and the boat costs 24 kuna.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

Hello,

We will be in Split from August 9th through August 11th, then plan to head to Dubrovnik. I would like to see Plitvice National Park, and am looking for the best way to do so in a single day (I should have flown into Zagreb, but too late for that...). As an alternative, I have heard that Krka national park is also worth a visit., and is closer to Split. We are not currently planning to rent a car. Any help with our itinerary would be greatly appreciated. We are flying out of Dubrovnik on August 16th, and want to see as much of Croatia as we can in the time we are visiting. While in Dubrovnik, I hope to make a day trip to Mostar as well. There are 5 of us - my husband and I, and our 3 children, ages 22, 23 and 19. I'm trying to plan a trip that will be fun for our kids as well.

Any suggestions, recommendations for tour companies, etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Kim Prickett

4. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 June 2012, 16:05
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

@Kim - there are lots of day trips you can do but you may also wissh to seek out a guide an d driver as there 5 of you and do it that way.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

For the money you spend for guided tour, you will be better just to rent a car for a day and go there early in the morning, spend day and come back late that day.

Trogir, Croatia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

I think not, 20-25 euro fuel, tickets 28 euro(for two), car 60euro..total min110-120euro and excursion for two is 100euro...

And if You want to visit other places it is easier with guide...

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

Hi Kim,

We used Cheap Dubrovnik Tours (google them) for our day trip into Mostar. This was a private tour, not a large group tour, which we found ideal. Prices was reasonable and service was very good. I would confirm with them that they can accomodate 5 adults.

In Trogir, we booked through Kairos Tours for our day trip to Krka. We had a driver with a van (maybe up to 10 passengers) but it was just my husband and myself. They too were reasonably priced and we were very happy with their service. If you could book the van for just your family, that would be ideal as you could then set the schedule.

kairos-trogir.com/Excursions_Trogir/krkwater…

We didn't rent a vehicle at any time during our trip to Croatia and my husband sure enjoyed not having to drive and being able to take in all of the sites. We felt it was well worth hiring the drivers for our excursions and much preferred it over large group bus tours.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

Thank you for the info, I will check both companies out. Did you stay in Trogir? I have read that many prefer Trogir over Split, because it is not quite as crowded.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Split to Plitvice National Park and Trogir

I guess where you stay will depend on what you're looking for - busy, lively city or a quieter town (that still had nice restaurants, shops, markets etc)

We came into Split by ferry from Hvar and explored the city and stayed overnight in an apartment right inside the palace walls. Staying in the palace walls was an experience for a night but we didn't feel we needed to stay their longer. It gave us enough time for us to check out the palace, riva walkway and markets. We happened to arrive during their festival so it was VERY busy - but that made it interesting.

We then travelled to Trogir where we based for a few days in an apartment on Ciovo island overlooking the marina and the old town. It was more open and spacious and had a great view. We enjoyed checking out Trogir and our day trip to Krka and relaxing.

Get answers to your questions about Split