We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

split or Dubrovnik?

East Amherst NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
split or Dubrovnik?

We are going to several countries and have a week for Croatia.I have heard that Dubrovnik is over run by cruise ships and that Split is nicer also the coast.Please tell me what to do

Durham
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

If you want advice you should say what time of year you are travelling and what your interests are. In Summer I prefer the islands to Dubrovnik and Split. Dubrovnik is plagued for cruise ship and Split is a big commercial city. It has places of interest, but I prefer somewhere more relaxing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

Agree, Split is not a place that any Croatian goes on vacation to, unless being from that town. It is a large city with port and industry, not a vacations spot. It is a ferry port connecting to islands and these should be where you should spend your time, if going June to September, otherwise consider Dubrovnik preferably if you are traveling October to May, for nicest experience during colder/rainier months. Dubrovnik is not that overrun with tourists outside of July/August and late June/early September.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 20:43
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,948 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

I agree that Split is a big city and though there are some nice things to see there I think there are better, more relaxing places you could go....as in one of the nearby islands such as Brac,Hvar or Vis.

East Amherst NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

Thank you,We are traveling in september .We have to go for 5 days to Poland for a conference and will be a week in Budapest so our time in Croatia was shortened.We are planning to go to some islands but is Split or Dubrovnik better for that???We want to stay in 1 hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

For short stay on an island with limited time available in September, choose ferry to Hvar from Split. Stay in Hvar town on island of Hvar. Even on a budget, it is post-high season and everything will be more reasonable, but still somewhat active and not yet dead. Weather statistically likely warmest with most sun in Hvar.

East Amherst NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

Where would you go to?We will be there in september .I do not like a big city and I hate the cruise ships.We HAVE ALREADY TRAVEles IN eUROPE FOR 2 WEEKS and do not want to go from hotel to hotel.We want to see the islands but are confused about Croatia,Is any place worth to stay for a week ??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

There are a lot of places worth staying a month or more or a whole life in Croatia.

If you want to be there for a short time up to a week, suggest Hvar described in earlier post. You are unlikely to be disappointed...

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,948 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

I think Hvar would be your best bet so go for it!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

It depends if you just want to chill out or you want to be active and do excursions. If you go to Hvar you will find it hard to visit anywhere else. If you are in Split you can make day trips more easily.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: split or Dubrovnik?

Well I am an expat American who has lived here in Split for almost five years, so any idea that this is a big "commercial" city is just silly. The waterfront is dominated by the 1,700 year old palace of Diocletian, which all by itself is more than enough reason to spend a few days here. Unlike Dubrovnik, which is far more expensive, overcrowded and is more of a museum piece since few people still live within its walls, Split's palace--actually a walled summer compound--still has almost 3000 people living inside. So it's a vibrant experience of locals, visitors all mingling together--no cars in the historic district--so a walker's dream. And being one if not the busiest port doesn;t mean a smoke filled harbor; instead the best service to the islands off the coast by catamarans and ferries. And with so many wonderful apartments and small hotels, you can find a great place, pick up some great fish in the market, some great veggies and fruit in the Green Market and save enough to splurge for dinner or even pay the $10-12 it costs to go to the islands. Hvar is highly touted but Brac, Solta and Vis offer wonderful experiences. You really can't go wrong here....dreamy interior villages, Trogir up the coast only 25 km and Krka National Park. Dubrovnik is a beautiful place to visit, but for more than a few days, we chose Split to live in for the reasons above and many more!

Get answers to your questions about Split