We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which excursion to choose for cruise stop in Split?

florida
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which excursion to choose for cruise stop in Split?

The area sounds interesting and handsome. Here are my ship's choices:

1. Dalmatian Coastline and Village Life ( Trogir, Burni, Sibenik)

2. Krka River national Park (This may be too long for us oldsters; it's 7 hours.)

3. Highlights of the Split Riviera (Trogir, Pantan, Split)

4. Cetna River Cruise

5. Historic Split and Ancient Salona

We have little interest in shopping. We love great scenery and charming villages.

Thank you!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which excursion to choose for cruise stop in Split?

These excursions should all be avoided. They are large group, pre-packaged programs that are watered down highlights rather than anything remotely in-depth. For such a short stay in port, it really makes sense to spend $100 and hire a private guide or agency to do a private tour. The reason ships come here is because Split is a 1,700 year old UNESCO World Heritage site. The reason I live here is because Split is so endlessly fascinating. Walking through the ancient streets of the Palace and discovering how it became a city almost overnight after the capital of the Roman empire in Dalmatia, Salona, was overrun, and was considered so safe that people never built outside the walls for more than 1000 years helps you understand why there are so many layers of history here and why more than 3000 people still live inside the walls! If history and culture are your joys, after Split, go to Trogir....you can enjoy both of these UNESCO World Heritage sites easily....with a great "peka" lunch, too! If you love "Great scenery and charming villages" you will miss Split entirely because the Krka tour and Dalmatian coastline, etc. etc. does not include the city.

For me it would be like going to London and deciding to take a train out to the country instead of seeing the city. But it's your vacation! Just my personal feelings!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which excursion to choose for cruise stop in Split?

Explore the Old Town on your own (with a book or private guide), walk up to the archaeological museum. If you are able, hike up the hill to get spectacular views over Split.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
42,781 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which excursion to choose for cruise stop in Split?

Agreed that you should just enjoy Diocletian's Palace on your own....

florida
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which excursion to choose for cruise stop in Split?

I appreciate the replies, and want to add some details about the tours.

E.g. the Cetna River Cruise includes a guided walking tour of Split, along with free time in the city.

Similarly, the "Riviera" tour includes a guided city tour and time in Trogir.

I think I will forego the Krka excursion, though it sounds lovely.

I will forego Dalmatian Coastline and Village life, since it does not allow time for Split itself (though it would be delightful to be able to visit villages)

So I need to decide between Highlights of the Riviera (which includes Trogir and Split) and which has no cost.

or

Best of Split and Cetna River Cruise (which has an additional charge). Is Cetna River Cruise quite wonderful?

MANY thanks!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
42,781 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which excursion to choose for cruise stop in Split?

I would pick highlights of the Riviera-Split and Trogir if you don't want to do things on your own.

6. Re: Which excursion to choose for cruise stop in Split?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 05:18