We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a 2 ½ week trip to Croatia from June 19 through July 7. I have done lots of research and I just need some help with fine tuning my itinerary to get the most out of this trip. We are looking for a good mixture of beach time, good dining and minimal exploring; more emphasis on the first two things. So far here is what I have as my preliminary itinerary from reading this forum and all the helpful links I have come across:

6/20 - Arrive in Split – rent an apartment in Split for 5 days and do day trips to Trogir, Korculam and Vis (do we need a car to make the best out of these day trips?)

6/25 – Leave Split to Brac Island; stay for 3 days

6/28 – Leave Brac to Hvar Islands; stay for 4 days (would the ferry that runs from Split-Boc-Jelsa allow for this?)

7/3 – Leave Hvar Islands back to Split rent a car and drive to Dubrovnik. Spend the last days in Dubrovnik and fly back to Washington.

Does the above sound doable? What would you subtract/add? Any modifications on time spent at each destination i.e. should we spend less days at a certain island and go visit a different place? Also, while in Brac and Hvar islands, would you recommend renting an apartment or would we be best suited in a hotel?

Thank you in advance for your help.

H!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

Trogir is only a 30-minute bus ride from Split and is easily visited, but Vis and Korcula are several hours away. I would rethink the Split portion and visit Vis overnight instead, if you can give it three nights.

If you take the catamaran from Bol, Brac to Jelsa, Hvar, you might be able to catch a bus to Hvar town. When I did this, I had to take a taxi (not cheap).

See ferry schedules at http://www.jadrolinija.hr/ and http://www.krilo.hr/en/sailing_schedule.html

How many days do you have for Dubrovnik. Unless you planned to stop somewhere, there is really no need to drive from Split to Dubrovnik. The bus is plenty comfortable. You may wish to revise your itinerary in order to travel from Hvar to Korcula (and then you can take a bus from Korcula to Dubrovnik), see jadrolinija.hr/docs/…

(Vela Luka is a town on Korcula, 20 minutes by bus from Korcula town)

I always recommend renting an apartment. In addition to finding it more pleasant and economical, it allows you to have at least breakfast at home.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

I am trying to think of a way you could still see all of the islands on your list with minimal backtracking to Split, and this might work: (and you may wish to cut one of the islands)

I just put the minimal days I would allot for each spot, and you can adjust as you wish.

Split 2

Bol 3

Hvar 3 (traveling via Jelsa)

Vis 3

back to Split and ferry to Korcula (3) or bus to Dubrovnik (with remaining nights split as your time permits)

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

for what you're looking for, i.e. beach time, good dining and minimal exploring, you are well advised to stay longer on one of the islands close to a beach and restaurants - I really don't understand all the hopping, when you will not see much more than on the first one. ergo, you might be looking at Komiza on Vis (great food and great beaches all over the island!) and Hvar town (even the Pakleni islands just off the town).

please come back with some more of your interests, and we'll help you find the best itinerary. cheers!

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

Thank you for the reply. OK, I will have to re-do this because after reading up on Vis this is the perfect romantic stop for us which I should have mentioned in my original post was one of the things we were looking for. I have 3 days for Dubrovnik before we fly out; is this too much?

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

Thanks for this. The reason for the hopping was initially me trying to avoid us having to lag our luggage from island to island (sadly I don't travel light!). I see what you are saying, picking 3 islands and spending more time there makes more sense since we are really just looking for a romantic gateway to relax and explore a bit. I am thinking that Vis, Hvar and Brac islands would serve the purpose for what we are after. Any thoughts?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

I agree on reducing the number of stops for more time in fewer places. Vis is one of my favorites, so that one is easy, and Hvar makes a nice second one especially if you can travel between the two without backtracking to Split. I am partial to Korcula as well, but you really cannot go wrong so you should pick what appeals to you.

This may be the trip you learn the lesson on packing light, as schlepping a suitcase up a steep hill or onto a ferry will cure you. It's gonna be hot-- you won't need much. Plus some apartment rental will have a washing machine

Ps Vis has especially nice beaches, but you will need to rent scooters or a car (or boat). On. Hvar you can take daily boats to the Paklenin islands, also very romantic.

Enjoy!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,050 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

Skip Brac and enjoy Hvar and Vis!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

This year there will be seaplane service on a regularly scheduled basis from Split's waterfront to Hvar, Vis, Korcula and Lastovo...as well as to Dubrovnik. First advice, dont overpack. It's warm, relaxed and what you dont bring with you, buy it here....it's shorts and a top and sandals. Forget dressing up....or pack a no iron dress if you must. Split should be your base. Croatian islands are not sandy beach retreats. If you want some R and R then go to Vis, very untouristy, unspoiled nature, real secluded beaches....you can enjoy Hvar and Brac as day trips if you want....go to each the day after you arrive in Split.and check them out. In Supertar, on Brac, where the ferry from Split goes in less than an hour, walk over to the small, charming Villa Adriatica. Like it? Book a room and come back after taking the bus to Bol beach...pretty hotels there too.....Same with Hvar, the ferry docks in Stario Grad, but the bus meets all ferries so you can go see Jelsa and Hvar town and take the early evening ferry back. Vis you cant do in a day since the ferry schedule makes it impossible, Maybe take the seaplane. Theisland not on your list is Korcula, one of our favorites. Dubrovnik old town is a 3hour walking tour and then??? That's it...there is nothing around the walled town of interest unless you go to the islands off Dubrovnik or up to Ston to eat the best oysters in the world....or go to Korcula where you can easily spend several days because the island is large, romantic and has privacy, nature, wild areas and the gorgeous walled old town. Final words.....less is more.

9. Re: First Trip to Croatia - Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:18