We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

British Columbia
Level Contributor
240 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Looking for advice on the best car rental company in Split. We are two couples so probably need a Van or two Cars for 16 days in September

Also,let me know whcih,companies to avoid

Thanks

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,874 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

Why two cars for two couples?

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Funny barry I had the same question??? I am Canadian too like the traveller( so its definitely not a canadian thing!) and unless both couples are sure they will be fighting after a few days one car is enough!! There are many rental car companies in Split and definitely will not write who is best and who is worst as it can vary from experience to experience. A company I like to recomnd is FLEET Car rental, simply they have the largest fllet of cars in Croatia with offices in all major centres. Sure they may be a bit more expensive but at least if you do have any problems with the car they can replac it immidiately, where as some lesss expensive operators may not have the capacity or man power to do so!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
240 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

With 4 Adults and 4 large suitcases plus carry on bags I was pretty sure we couldn't all get in one car even a Standard car. So if we couldn't rent a, Van then would probably need a car each

Sound reasonable?

No it is not a Canadian thing EH

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

Funny just got off chat with my good buddy in Langley..BC stiill working at CN..where I started my job life about 40 years ago in Montreal! The size of cars here such as station wagons and mini vans will do the job just fine....VW, Opel, Hyunda, Kia, all have wagons here similar in size to a Passat wagon back home or minivans similar in size to Dodge Caravans...all are diesel, and if you can drive a stick shift all the better but automatic exists also...can check some rates for you if you like..eh!!!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

I was coming here with the same question so would be interested in a response. In my case we will be arriving in Split by Ferry and will want the car to tour in Croatia and then plan to depart from Rovinj. So we need to rent a car from Split with a dropoff in Rovinj. Can anyone suggest a company that would have a rental facility at both locations - hopefully at the ports rather than the airports.

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Most companies are at the airports Split and Pula in the case of Rovinj..In both cases the airport and town locations are about 45 minute drives and its totaly common to disembark the ferry in Split and the rental agent is waiting for you with a sign and the car, ditto for Rovinj where the scenario has you passing by Pula anyway, picking up the rental agent and going to your Rovinj destination.Simply from there the agent drives back the car to Pula! Don't make a big deal about this as you know back in the States, some big city locations are in the suburbs, airports, city centres and still could be an hour away from where you are staying, even in Split an agency can have a counter in the port area, but no parking exists there and cars come in from the airport area anyway!!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

I would definitely recommend oryx rent a car.They have best cars for best prices with cheapest one way price of 50 euro.They have office in rovinj so you can easy leave car there

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

I've used Oryx, CarHire3000, UniRent, Fleet (who don't have enough vehicles based on queueing for hours at the airport) and others. I've used locally based Nova who are online at RentaCarSplit very successfully from Trogir http://www.rentacarsplit.net/index.php/en/ - they operate from downtown Split too.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

Cost of petrol/gasoline should be considered befor 2 cars are booked- I know Americans find it expensive in Croatia for example (the British don't) but don't know how Canadian prices compare to US.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 18:22
British Columbia
Level Contributor
240 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

Thanks for the input Peter. if you could check rates for a vehicle that holds 4 people plus luggage it would be great and very much appreciated

Get answers to your questions about Split