We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

Finland
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

I'll be in Split with my mum for 4.5 days in early April. We would like to visit Krka National Park and maybe some villages near Split, but public transport doesn't necessarily seem like a good idea. It would be far nicer to have stops as something interesting shows up.

Unfortunately, my mum doesn't drive at all and I'm not a very experienced driver. I mostly drive in the country side. I'm not a bad driver, just not so familiar with driving among many other cars and narrow roads. Does it sound like it would be stupid to rent a car? If we leave Split early in the Saturday or Sunday morning and return fairly late, is it likely that there will be a lot of traffic?

Are there some nice day trips we could do without a car and ready tours? We'd like to do some small nature treks, visit some island and perhaps Dubrovnik. We are interested in pretty villages, gardens, nice sea views and seeing "authentic" Croatian life. I think we need to spend at least 1,5 days only in Split so that not every day is going to be about rushing around.

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Krka National Park
Krka National Park
3,267 Reviews
Sibenik-Knin County, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Finland
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

Is it possible to do a day trip from Split to Hvar and take a taxi from there to Velo Grablje? I'm very interested in abandoned villages :)

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

Try to contact someone on www.dalmatia-start.com they work individuals on customer wishes

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
54,376 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

I think you should look online for day trips and don't worry about renting a car.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

You can just take the catamaran or the ferry to Hvar. Bus meets all ferries to take you to Hvar town in 30 minutes. From there, many agencies do an offroad tour to abandoned villages with or without a lunch in an olive grove. www.hvartours.com has this program for example, but you can google. Renting a car is simple, the roads are not crowded,.well marked. The higways are absolutely uncrowded since locals do not like paying tolls. The trip to Krka from here, by rented car, using the highway is only an hour....and the tolls are about $15RT, a nice easy drive along the coast and then on the fast highway. Trogir is a l hour bus trip from Split, well worth visiting since it is a UNESCO World Heritage site and has a stunning ensemble of 13-17th architecture. Split itself is a treasure, a walking city, mostly flat, easy and endlessly fascinating. Ferries of course to the islands, so this is a nice day trip. The car for Krka makes sense...but the travel agencies here all offer day trips at reasonable prices.....Dubrovnik is a 4 hour drive, wonderful places to stop along the way...but 4 hours there and back makes for a long day. May be easier to take a bus, enjoy the views, come back late, sleep a bit....

Mentioned in this post
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Krka tours
Krka tours
171 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Trogir
Trogir
Split
Split
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
54,376 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

Normally I would agree about renting a car but not if you aren't confident in your driving. split is not the type of place for an unconfident driver as Split is a big and busy city.

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Finland
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

Thank you!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

This is absolutely not true, living here, the driving is very simple because the palace is car free and you need to drive around it, which means very slow traffic, traffic lights, etc. But only two lanes, so no one is going crazy. While it can be circuitous, the city is hardly "big" compared most Western cities....and 99% of the cars are small with a city speed limit that even bicycles can keep up with.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
54,376 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

But when you live there you know the roads..the truth from my perspective is that I didn't like driving in Split as it was very busy and I didn't know the area very well so it was difficult for me. Whereas out on Vis I had no problem driving because there was very little traffic. I think if I lived in Split and drove the roads daily I might think differently.

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

With respect, I have only owned a car here for a year and rarely use it. You cannot compare driving on an island with a few thousand people to a city of 200,000........that said, the signs, two lanes, excellent roads, make driving here much easier than in other countries where there are more cars, more businesses, more speed. Laid back, Mediterranean Split is not in a hurry, and for drivers, this is a good thing.

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
54,376 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic in Split plus day trip ideas

You are right about the comparison but to say something that I gave an opinion on is "absolutely not true" is not right. I also drove in Zagreb and didn't like it there but its one of those things that if I was there more often and drove the roads more often then I would feel more comfortable driving there. When you have no experience driving in a pretty large place it can be nerve wracking and that is the point I was trying to make. Or maybe backing out of a tightly packed one way street was actually a fun thing???

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia