We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plitvice or Krka

Wendover, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Plitvice or Krka

My family and I (me, husband, 5 year old and 2.10 year old) will be flying into Split in August. We want to spend a couple of days at a National Park and whilst I hear Plitvice is stunning, I am a bit concerned that it might not be suitable for my 2yo. She probably won't be able to walk all day and as I know its not best for buggies I was wondering if Krka was a better choice (given you can swim there?)

Thanks

Durham
Level Contributor
5,076 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plitvice or Krka

Of the two Krka is better because the journey is shorter. But even Krka has plenty of steps and although swimming is allowed at one point it isn't great.

Sibenik, Croatia
Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plitvice or Krka

Hello,

Krka National Park is made up of several separate parts. Most people do not know that this national park you can explore for days and still not see everything. I suggest an apartment in the town of Sibenik, because everything is near: shops, restaurants, pharmacy ........... The most famous part of the national park is Skradinski Buk, there you can also swim. But from here you can go by boat to another part Roski slap, very nice, there is also a beach, restaurants ....... If you decide to visit the Plitvice Lakes, one part can also be visited by boat, but it is very steeply.I wish you an unforgettable holiday

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plitvice or Krka

I'd stay in Skradin and visit Krka. And please don't expect anything like railings alongside boardwalks over water - unless it's all massively changed since joining the EU.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plitvice or Krka

Both offer wonderful walks........both have hotels nearby..........the real issue isnt the 2 year old, a walk in a park is a walk in a park! You wont be mountain climbing. The real issue is to go online to the official sites of each and see them, read about them and then decide which one.

Sibenik as a seaside town has its charms and is the jumping off point to Krka. Plitvice is much more remote, much more spectacular. But B and B;'s on site and being in all that wilderness is what makes it a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which is rare. Krka, despite its charms, is not and there is a reason. Plitvice is simply unique!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plitvice or Krka

Problem is that most of the time at Plitvice you are surrounded by other people so it doesn't feel like wilderness at all unless you do a lot of walking away from the usual lake trails. I think it would be good to get comments from people who have taken children to both. I'm also assuming you're driving there.

6. Re: Plitvice or Krka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16