We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
124 reviews
Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

My husband and I are due to fly into Dubrovnik to board the MS Splendid for an island hopping tour for seven days, then we have four days booked at the Bellevue Hotel. I was just wondering if anyone had been on board this vessel recently as I'm just looking for any hints and tips on what clothes to take, what the weather is normally like in May etc. This will be our first visit to Croatia, so we're really looking forward to exploring this area.

I'm just about to have a look at your top questions, but would be grateful for any advice at all re currency, sightseeing, clothing ...... and mozzies!!

9 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
173 reviews
1. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

Just got off the ms splendid. Were with a group of 3 other boats and the majority of the opinion was the Splendid was the least Splendid of the three. The ca ins are old (shower door noobs missing and replaced with rope, shower only glued on and came off during sail), the food was best described as "institutional" vs what other boats were serving, no hot water one day, would not turn on heat when cold outside, and one rooms heat did not work at alll. Then there is a he hot tube above the upper class cabins that shakes the entire rooom when turned o. By other guests at mid night. Could have gotten off after 5 days of this tourist trap (visit islands that ha e the same tourist souvenirs as the next just spreading the tourist dollar. Cruise director was a joke. Definately on our "never again" list - but might consider the Kaplan Bota ship, folks on that had a great time. Weather ran cold and hot with calm and heavy seas early May.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
124 reviews
2. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

Hello LovesTravel51. I'm just back after having spent a week on board with other guests and we all had a good time. In fact, we must have boarded after you were on board as our cruise began on the 6th May. The weather was a little cold for the time of year and there was a swell on the sea which disrupted our itinerary, but that can't be helped and it didn't impact on our stay. We had no problems as you describe above, so perhaps those complaints were dealt with after your stay. No-one used the hot tub until the last day of our cruise and even then the water was still too cold, and certainly no-one switched it on at midnight. I do agree however that the cruise director could have been better. We all thought the food was adequate, but I can't compare this with any of the other boats. We were under the impression that this boat was built in 2014, so it's really not that old. I think perhaps the cabins have been made to look older than they really are. Everything was certainly kept very clean and tidy and it didn't put us off doing this type of cruise again.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
3. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

We are looking to book MS Splendid in August. How did you find the experience (pros & cons)?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

Hi Caron1967

I can only say that we enjoyed the experience. There was a mix of people from different countries on board and only 28 passengers altogether. There were six staff - Captain, two boys who helped him and done cleaning etc., two girls who done the serving and cleaning etc. and a cook who also carried out cleaning tasks. The boat was spic and span. There was also a cruise director who kept us on track with visits and timetables. Apart from that, he didn't seem to do that much to be honest. The cabins are small but we found there was plenty storage and you can use under the bed to store your cases. Dress is casual. No need to dress up. There was only entertainment on one night when we had singers on board. There are no TVs in the rooms, but there is a TV in the main lounge/dining/breakfast room. Some guests had their own laptops so could hook up to the wifi in the lounge area to watch programmes/films in their own language. Wifi does not extend to the cabins or upper decks.

The bathroom was a fairly good size considering we were on a small boat. The walk-in shower was fine and water pressure was good. It did leak though onto the floor, but there was a drainage hole so that didn't bother us too much. The wardrobe contained a personal safe for valuables.

We had no control over the weather which was a bit cool and with a southerly wind which brought about a sea swell which disrupted our itinerary a little, but that couldn't be helped.

We found that we had plenty of spare time to do what we wanted and to explore the ports of call. We liked how breakfast and lunch were served on board but that we could go where we wanted ashore for evening meal. Lunch on board may not suit everyone, but you do get a three course meal. We thought the cook done well to give us different meals each day, but there is not a choice. It's more or less take it or leave it. It would be important to notify the staff if you had any allergies or significant food dislikes. They served, fish, pork, lamb, veal and chicken.

That's about it for now I think. However, if there are any specific answers you are looking for, please PM me or post another question here. I will be happy to help if I can.

Boston
Level Contributor
25 posts
209 reviews
5. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

I am looking at the trip for September. Did you go? How was it? Would you recommend?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

Which boats do you think are better than Splendid?

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

I did this tour in 2017 and loved it. Don't expect 5 star but it is well worth this trip. It is a small group and well placed itinerary. I think the food is quite adequate for this type of cruise. You won't go hungry. The stops along the way were great and travel along the seas was also interesting so don't miss the sights along the way. One thing about the Splendid is that is has a jakuzi on the sun deck and believe me it was great. A lot of the other boats don't have this. The only thing that I would say was negative is the drinks prices on board. Excessive in my opinion but you have no choice on board you gotta pay their price and you are not allowed to bring alcohol onboard. In all great experience with fabulous crew. I really loved this experience. Note... I had my own room on main deck.

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

I did this tour in 2017 and loved it. Don't expect 5 star but it is well worth this trip. It is a small group and well placed itinerary. I think the food is quite adequate for this type of cruise. You won't go hungry. The stops along the way were great and travel along the seas was also interesting so don't miss the sights along the way. One thing about the Splendid is that is has a jakuzi on the sun deck and believe me it was great. A lot of the other boats don't have this. The only thing that I would say was negative is the drinks prices on board. Excessive in my opinion but you have no choice on board you gotta pay their price and you are not allowed to bring alcohol onboard. In all great experience with fabulous crew. I really loved this experience. Note... I had my own room on main deck.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
96 reviews
9. Re: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?

We have just ended our trip from the ms Splendid. Round trip from Dubrovnik for 7 days. We stayed on the main deck cabin 14. Although its not the best looking ship to others in the port, I felt it was the best boat for us. Casual, relaxed and we met the most fabulous people that made our holiday.We travelled with Unforgettable Croatia and booked through Graham Carter. He booked everything for us . This small ship had everything to offer. Dont hesitate and just book. My husband and I would book another trip with them. Big thanks to Maria the chef and our new friends Christy, Terry, Alise, John, Pat from America, Tony and Debbie from Australia and Sabrina and her husband from Germany. We were a lively bunch.

Reply to: Has anyone been on the MS Splendid island hopping tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted