We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

England
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

We stayed in Dubrovnik around 20 years ago and remember a funicular which took you to the most amazing views of the city. I can't find mention of it on searching this forum. Does it no longer exist? If not, how can we get to the top to see these amazing views again?

USA
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

If you are referring to the tram that used to take you up to the top of Mt. Srd, that is no longer there. I have heard talk of bringing that back at some point, but that is about it. I was up there with my parents in 1987 and, you are right, it was amazing. I think you can still get up there somehow, but I have not been up there since (in my last 3 trips). I was just looking at old slides from that trip, and saw that they even had a little restaurant/cafe up there...I had forgotten about that!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

no, but Budapest has, if you want to go there LOL

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

I think you are referring to the cable car. There were some plans to get it running again but the winch house up on the hill was wrecked during the war and it is going to cost a lot to put it right. There is a track that goes up there but I am not sure about the safety of the area and if there are any mines up there.

England
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

Thanks to the two people who gave me sensible answers - what a shame as it was such an easy way to get to the top. So, if the only option is by bus, does anyone know whether there is a bus service and, if so, how long it would take?

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

Definitely no buses going up there but you might find someone with a 4 wheel drive who would take you. I seem to remember that there was a path with loads of steps but I don't know if it is still there.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

We were in Dubrovnik last summer. You can drive up to the top of the hill, the host of our apartment drove my boyfriend up in a renault clio, so 4 wheel drive isn't essential! I was not feeling well and when I saw the photo's he took I was really upset I didn't make it! You can't actually go into the building at the top that used to be the restaurant unless you know someone who knows the security guard, if you do get to go in though it is amazing apparently - still set up with tills as it was left in a hurry.

I seem to remember that you can go on an organised walk up the hill, if that doesn't seem like to much effort.

You can also walk past where the base of the cable car used to be as all the housings are still there! My boyfriends parents has their honeymoon in Dubrovnik 35 years ago and had told us about going up it, so it was cool to see the base of it at least!

USA
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

It is amazing reading the last post...knowing what Dubrovnik was and has again become...and still knowing it has things it could offer all of us with time. Having that restaurant and tram is going to be another step in the development and recovery of one of Europe's greatest destinations!!!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
42,711 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

If there is any way to get up to this place I would say go for it. I don't know how many times I have looked at pictures of Dubrovnik, and I always have wished that I could see it myself from above where the funicular used to go. I love the view of the Old Town as our car is approaching Dubrovnik from Cilipi Airport, but have never ventured to the top of the mountain. I would hope someday I will get the opportunity to do this.

England
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

Many thanks to everyone who replied on this. Having been there when it was open I can confirm that the views were spectacular. I may try to find a driver to take me up there when we visit again in the summer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Dubrovnik still have a funicular

If you do go up there, spend a few moments thinking about the fighting that went on in the area just a few years ago and what it all achieved.