We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Dubrovnik

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Dubrovnik

I will be visiting Dubrovnik for a day from a cruise ship in mid-October. Any suggestions for the best way to see the "things not to be missed"? I am quite happy to travel round the town by local bus - if this is a good way to go, but any other tips would be welcome. About five hours at the most will probably have to do!

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
140 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik old town is pedestrianised although you will need to get a bus from Gruz harbour where the cruise ships arrive. Once you arrive at the Pile Gate my advice would be to walk the walls, the views are superb and you will get a feel for the whole place. It takes about 2 hours to walk round, after that I would just wander about and soak up the atmosphere, stop for something to eat at one of the resteraunts at the old harbour and maybe go in the monestary or rectors palace.

I am sure you will love Dubrovnik.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,261 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

Agreed that you should definitely walk the walls, soak in the sights, and take a few pictures from up there. Then walk the Stradun, get something to eat, and get back to your ship!

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

Hi there

We were in Dubrovnik for the day last week as part of our cruise.

We were bussed in to the Pile Gate entrance of the old town .Go through the gate and immediately on your left you will find the steps going up to the wall.Walk the walls first as the town gets even busier later on with day trippers.Just past where you pay you can get an audio guide in English if you wish.As we did not have a comprehensive guide book with us we did this so we knew the history of what we were seeing.

When we came down (about one and half hours later) We couldn't believe how busy it had got in the square.You'll need a cold drink after,as we did, after the walk or maybe lunch depending on the time.

There are two monasteries to choose from to visit.We chose the Franciscan which is next to where you start the wall walk.It's a little haven in there,cool and peaceful.We found doing that and strolling down the Stradun eating ice cream was enough for us but you may want to visit the Rector's palace as well.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

you will probably be let off in Gruz harbour - there are very regular buses into the old town - stop at one of the little kiosks selling drinks and magazines and ask for a bus ticket - they are 8 kuna each. They last you for an hour. The bus will drop you off at Pile Gate. its the last stop.

On the way back out, just stand on the opposite side of the road to where you were left off the bus, and you will get the bus back out to Gruz. Make sure you get the gruz bus not the Lapad bus. The lapad bus goes to the other side of the harbour - just ask someone what number the gruz bus is - they are very helpful and friendly and will help you.

You must see the old town - it is beautiful - walk the walls, take a walk to the harbour in the old town and have a nice lunch.

Plenty of time.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,261 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

I think the 1A and 1B bus will take you back to Gruz if you are docked there.

salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

Thanks to all of you for the advice - it will be a great help.

Poole

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
140 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

I found Insight Pocket Guide to Dubrovnik invaluable, it has a good map and some itineries for walks and is a handy pocket size to carry with you.

salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

Thanks, Lizzl, I will look out for that!

Poole

9. Re: A day in Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 04:19