We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female - advice please...

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female - advice please...

Hi

I have been told that Dubrovnik is the next place I should visit as it is stunning. Just wondering if it would be a safe place for solo female traveller as that is always my first priority? Oh and any other tips / advice on this area would be great if you would be so kind?!

Cheers

Loo

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
94 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female - advice please...

Hi, I just returned from Dubrovnik / Split / Hvar. Was with friends on this trip but am often a solo female traveller. Dubrovnik seemed very safe - not intimidating at all for a female (same for rest of Croatia). You don't even get too much sales hassle let alone unwanted hassle from guys or the feeling of it not being safe. Go - you'll love it. It is stunning!

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female - advice please...

Hi, thanks for your reply, much appreciated...

I have been having a look round site and it seems far more expensive than anticipated? I am always on a fairly small budget when I travel so hopefully someone can enlighten me?

Cheers again

Loo

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female - advice please...

You are quite safe in Croatia being a single traveller. Before moving here from the UK I travelled a lot and have found this country to be one of the safest I have ever been to !

As for budget - it works out cheaper getting a flight with a budget airline and then booking through private accommodation or hostels rather than hotels which are quite expensive.

The price also depends when you travel - July and August being the most expensive

Have a good trip !

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female - advice please...

Fab thanks, I'll look forward to planning this trip then :-)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
94 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female - advice please...

In terms of expense, I agree that it was more expensive than I had imagined it to be - especially given the fact that it has not joined the EU yet. But overall, it was pretty reasonable value. Agree that getting budget airlines etc (although I found Crotian Airlines the best price for my flights) and looking at cheaper accomodation options will help. Seemed to be lots of rooms to rent which would be a lot cheaper than hotels.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female - advice please...

Safety- one of the safest places you will ever visit

EXPENSIVE??? yes, it is quite expensive compared to other spots, but it is extremely worth it - the place is pure class.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female - advice please...

Easyjet have cheap flights to Split from Gatwick - you can also try thomsonfly they have cheap flights to Dubrovnik from Manchester and Gatwick - BA also operate flights to Dubrovnik - with all these airlines you will find that the earlier you book the cheaper the price !!

Croatian Airlines sometimes have special offers so it is best to go into their website now and again to see what these are and which dates the offers are available

Brunswick Heads...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female - advice please...

So, what was your experience of your time in Dubrovnik? I am planning 3 days in early November and am an older solo female traveller. It's been 30 years since I travelled in Europe - & I like to think I can do what I did then - be carefree, travel light, just find accommodation when I arrive and not be conned by locals out to make a quick few dollars. Would love to hear from others with their suggestions for "must sees" and whether it is bettewr to exchange for local currency, use Euros or credit cards. Cheers!

9. Re: Solo female - advice please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 17:20