We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

We'll be staying in Cavtat for a week and hopefully plan on a day trip to Montenegro and one to Mostar. We'll also be visiting Dubrovnik itself to walk the walls. The Elefiti islands sound great. Which one would you recommend? We're late thirties, no kids and we're into lovely scenery,like walking and photography. We're not into sunbathing but like the odd sit in the sun with abeer and a nice view and maybe a swim in the sea. Ideally we'd catch a local ferry to one of the islands rather than an excursion to keep costs down. Do you think it possible to do this for the first part of the day then spend the rest walking the wall in Dubrovnik plus possibly having the evening there depending on bus time? I didn't want to opt for the nearest island if it possibly wasn't the best.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,000 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

There is a nice sand beach on the island of Lopud, thats where I would go. To get to the beach you must walk because there are no cars on the island. So it fits the walking, scenery, beach thing.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

Walking the city walls late in the day depends on the time of year. Presonally I couldn't walk the walls during the heat of summer, except early morning. Do remember the walls are 2 kilometers long and have a grand total of 650 steps. If you stop to take photos along the way, it could take up to 2 hours before you finish. So plan your day accordingly.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

I don't think it's possible to do one of the Elafiti islands and then go to the walls . First of all the entrance of the walls do close at 5 pm. Also you have to think about the ferry boat time table . What is possible if you want island and walls in one day is the island of Lokrum . The boat is going every half hour from the old harbor to the island . Over there you can walk , swim ( Nude if you want but you don't have to ) sunbath visit the botanical garden or go to the fortress what Napoleon's army did build in 1806 . After that you come back and you are already in the old town for the walls .

I really think that's better if you have only one day .

Of course the Elafiti's are also very beautiful but for that you need a whole day .

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

You don't mention the time of year when you plan to visit Dubrovnik. The city walls close during high season at 7pm, during the winter they close at 3pm. Walking the walls takes time as most folks stop to take photos as the views are dramatic. Perhaps you could plan your time for one day to visit the Elafti another to walk the walls and visit the old town. There is much to do and many lovely sights within the city walls.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

Hi mrspink :O)

From what you say about yourself I think you will really love the places you mention. :O)

I think that Dubrovnik Old Town deserves more time than you have mentioned. I am pretty sure that you will like Lokrum very much also. The restaurant in Lokrum is really lovely. I believe that you can get a tourist boat from Cavtat to Lokrum. There are also boats in Cavtat that have glass "bottoms" so that you can see the views underneath.

Both in Dubrovnik and Cavtat the only tours I saw to the Elafiti islands included all 3 islands, rather than just 1. I didn't see any evidence of the "local ferries" about which the tour books "speak".

I can recommend a tour operator which does day trips into Montenegro. The Montenegro coastline is fantastic and I would definitely recommend this tour, cost is about 50 euros per person. Please send me a personal message if you would like details.

I think that the same operator also does tours to Mostar. I'm pretty sure they can pick you up from Cavtat.

Cavtat is a nice little place with a lot of charm so you definitely get many chances to (quoting you) "sit in the sun with a beer and a nice view".

I would also recommend that you visit Trsteno arboretum, accessible by bus from Dubrovnik.

Have a nice trip.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

Actually I did both in one day last October.

I was up on the wall by the Ploce Gate when they opened at 8.30am. I was back down around 10am because for the whole of the first part - the part with most of the steps LOL! - I was the only person up there so it really didn't take that long to walk the first part and take photos - I did meet others by the time I got round to the Pile Gate entrance, but there wern't very many of them as it was still early.

The evening before we had booked the trip to the Elafiti Islands and they were leaving at 10.30am. I had time for a coffee at a cafe by the harbour (name escapes me right now, it might have been Poliksar?) but they didn't do pastries! My friend came along, so I told her I'd be back on the boat by 10.30 and rushed off to a pastry shop in Gundeleva Poljana (sp) and then ate my breakfast on the boat as we sailed off!

It was a very pleasant day, we stopped on Kolocep for about an hour, just enough time to walk around a bit and have a glass of wine, then it was off to Sipan which has a charming little village around a harbour. We ate lunch on the boat here and then set off for Lopud where we stopped for about 2 hours. Some people went swimming, my friend and I wandered round, found a lovely little church, and then went for more wine with some people we'd met on the boat.

Back to Dubrovnik by about 6pm, we headed to the Buza Bar with some new friends from the boat to watch the sun go down.

Wonderful day, and not too tiring (after all most of it was spent sitting on the boat!).

7. Re: Ideas for a week near Dubrovnik and Elefiti Islands day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik