We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatian wines

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Croatian wines

We are soon off to Dubrovnik for a repeat visit and a few great meals at Rozarji. Previously we have visited vineyards on the Pelisajk (sp?) Peninsula and have bought wine to bring home. Also, we like to get some Croatian wines for our hotel room. If anyone has any recommendations as to what we might check we'd appreciate the information.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatian wines

Check Miloš and Bura. The later seems to be creating some fabulous wines lately! Besides that, you may want to taste Bibich - although not from the area, it is the best known in the states. Check this video: …wordpress.com/2009/…

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatian wines

Last year when I was the Peljesac peninsula, we stopped to visit with my cousins winery, Bura. She told me all the bottles would be exported to the states. If you do find any of the Bura (by the way that was her maiden name), buy it. Not because it is family, but it is a very good red wine.

You must understand that personally I do prefer most of the Peljesac wines, as good red is my favorite. There are many very good wines from the Dalmatian coast. Most of us all have our favorites.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatian wines

Dingac and Plavac are the best known reds from the Peljesac, Dingac being the more expensive of the two. Bura has gained a reputation as the best in the area, but I think Matusko is very good too and their winery is very nice. It's the closest thing I've seen in the Peljesac to a real wine tour / tasting.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatian wines

Here one can find some info about Croatian origins of Californian vine:

http://www.grgich.com/about/winery.cfm

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croatian wines

Dingac and plavac are the most well known wines of peljesać all the winery's of peljesac make the . Also Konavle has good wines . Try Crvik's wines . He makes good wines to . When you go to a supermarket you will see a lot of wines.With the plavac or also malvazija you can't take a mistake. it's also like that that wine doesn't has to be high priced to be the best . .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Croatian wines

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't leave for a week so I'm happy if you continue to send ideas. Meanwhile, I'll admire my EMPTY bottle: Grgic - Plavac Mali.

Oxford
Level Contributor
404 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croatian wines

Interesting! Are there any wineries to avoid if you hate "international-style" wines (very ripe and with lots of new oak)?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Croatian wines

My fiance and I fell in love with a white wine while in Croatia and even went through the trouble of carrying a few bottles back home with us. The name is Zlatna Vrdbnicka Zlahtina. It is quite reasonably priced and we found it in many shops and served at restaurants.

good luck

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Croatian wines

We are just back. Thanks for suggestions. We discovered a fantastic wine bar, Da' Vino right in Stari Grad, the old city. I'll post a review later this week, but suffice it to say that we were introduced to excellent Croatian wines, and made some purchases based on our tastings.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Croatian wines

I 'm glad that you enjoyed it here in Dubrovnik . I hope that you will tell us what are the best wines we can offer . I am a tour guide and a lot off people ask me what are the best wines . But it normal that not everybody likes the same things . ( If we should live would be boring ) So please help me with the things what you did like .