We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland OH
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

I will be in Dubrovnik for 5 days in June. I would like to spent one day at a beach on one of the nearby islands. Do I go to Lokrum, or is it worth venturing to other islands further away?

Do you know of any trips to go to local vineyards to sample/buy local wine and olive oil?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

It is worth seeing all islands in the area!

Contact Secret Dalmatia for a wine tour of Pelješac and you can even combine it with the tour of Korcula town. They can assist with all your needs.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

I think you should look into going to the island of Lopud and Sunj beach if you are looking to go to a beach near Dubrovnik. I like Banje near the Old Town, but also like the looks of Sunj.

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

Sunj on Lopud is very nice and is one of the only truly sandy beaches in Southern Dalmatia. But, it's best to visit during the week as it gets crowded with locals on the weekends.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

You can visit Lokrum any time you like... (you will stay for 5 days there), boat from the old town port goes every 30 minutes, i think...

But I agree with the above suggestions to visit island of Lopud with its beautiful sandy beach Sunj. It is really nice...

There aren't many sandy beaches in Dubrovnik and its area but this one is.

Contact Globus Travel Dubrovnik, ask for Iva - the travel agent, for a wine tour of Pelješac and you can even combine it with the tour of Korcula town. They have very friendly driver with great knowledge who can be on Your disposal whatever You might need. Also, he can take to some private wine cellars that make homemade and domestic olive oil and wine for their needs. It is always better.

You can always contact me for more information and details, if you like.serendipity.me.tomorrow@gmail.com

Washington DC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

Just interested if you have booked your winery tour with someone?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

Try to find time at the beginning of your stay to visit D'Vino, the wine bar just off Stradun in the old city. You'll get lots of help from Cameron and Andrija re: winery visits, as well as having the opportunity to taste great Croatian wines at a very reasonable price. I wrote a review earlier, so do a search for D'Vino reviews.

We have already opened one of the bottles we brought back, and we salivate when looking at the others. Lucky you!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

Thank you PiratePirate! Sounds like fun and we will definitely stop by! We have booked a private wine tour of Pelješac with Secret Dalmatia since our friends went last year with them and had a wonderful time. I wanted to taste some local olive oils but they don't offer that yet...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

Hi, I contacted Secret Dalmatia for info and they have one available date for a private wine tour the week we'll be in Croatia. It is a bit pricey, so I am wondering if it is worth it?

How pretty is the wine region? How good is the wine? Is it more recommended for serious wine lovers (which we aren't) or just people who like wine and are looking for a scenic day trip?

Thanks!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

Secret Dalmatia is definitely a good company to go with although they are not the cheapest since this is a expert led tour and a lot of stuff is included. I had some friends from States over and they raved about the tour but they are quite big on wine tours so I believe it is more for true wine lovers.

If looking for something scenic, contact them for a Cavtat/Konavle scenic ride and that will be less.

10. Re: Beaches, Island and Winery visit???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2009, 06:46