We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovenik in October

Ireland
Level Contributor
477 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovenik in October

Hi, I am going to Dubrovnik mid October. I don't know what to expect weatherwise or what clothes to take????Also we plan a trip to Medugorje would it be colder there?

I see a lot of people recommend Mostar, how far is that from Dubrovnik??

I love live music so any tips on good places appreciated...

Thank you for any infol

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Medugorje
Medugorje
510 Reviews
Medjugorje, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Herzegovina Day Tour from Mostar and...
from US$142.10*
Free Cancellation
Enjoy Ancient Mostar
31 Reviews
from US$55.70*
Free Cancellation
Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovenik in October

Hello,

I have been last year in Dubrovnik in October.It was not cold there.To Mostar you need 3 hours.It is a long journey,but Mostar is beautiful and you can see many things.I would say,go to Mostar.

The live music was last year in Dubrovnik,in Lapad.It was great.

I hope that I have helped you.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lapad
Lapad
1,000 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovenik in October

Ro Murphy

Dubrovnik in October is lovely - I was there last year at the beginning of October and weather was fab - very very warm - it rained one day for an hour - otherwise it was shorts and three quater lenght pants and tshirts. Beautiful.

Don't know about Medugorje as I never went there, but sure, say a few prayers and it might warm up (he he).

Mostar is not to be missed - it is in Bosnia and it is fabulous. We took the trip with the rep that we had at the hotel - all info will be at your hotel. You leave at 7 a.m. on the coach - stop off at a large supermarket just over the border for little purchases (a lot cheaper here than Croatia, but remember the price tags are in Bosnian money, not Croatian, so multiply by 6 I think to get Croatian equivalent - ask the rep on the bus - it is still cheaper than Croatia, for things like drinks, ciggies, - and Croatia is cheap enough as well, but Bosnia is cheaper). Anyway then you will stop at a little Boston/Turkish town. It is lovely. On then into Mostar and you get a tour of the town, the old town, and a mosque, and of course the famous bridge - then you are left to your own devises to do what you want for a few hours. Back onto the bus and back to Croatia - you get back about 6 or 7 p.m. Its a great day out and not to be missed.

I used love the music in Hemmingways in Dubrovnik old town - it is very easy to find - its a cocktail bar (OMG the best cocktails in the world - beware - it is expensive for a cocktail (about 8 Euro) so just have one now and then for a treat - they are DELICIOUS!!!! If you go in through Pile Gate (from Lapad side of town) walk the length of the main street, take a right and walk the length of this street then Hemingways is at the very end on the right. (the canopy says Hemingwasy, but it is a bit faded so you will have to look closely).

also, try to take a boat to Cavtat for the day - I am in love with this little town - Im heading back for a week to Cavtat (3rd time this year) because I love the place so much.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Medugorje
Medugorje
510 Reviews
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Pile Gate
Pile Gate
1,986 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Lapad
Lapad
1,000 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovenik in October

Hi Ro Murphy, I'm Irish too and me and my pal (both early 70's) are planning a trip early Oct '06 to Croatia and we were thinking of Cavtat which you seem to love. Would it suit us and would you reccomend the Hotel Croatia. We like lying at pool reading during early part of day, dinner at different restaurants and a stroll to shops in evening. Is the town easily walkable - I heard there were a lot of steps. We also love excursions. thank you for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Hotel Croatia
Hotel Croatia
182 Reviews
Baska Voda, Croatia
ny
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovenik in October

Dubrovnik in mid October is in my opinion best. Not too many tourists. No waiting for a seat in a restaurant. It's relaxing. Sea is still warm enough for swimming. Weather is most of the time sunny. For info check dubrovnikconcierge.com/pages/basicfacts.htm

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
USA
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubrovenik in October

Having lived there year round I can honestly say September and October are best, May and early July next best, Christmastime next best (its magical! Lov it), then spring months and late fall. I myself avoided Dubrovnik in July and August. Spring months get rainy, fall months are sunny, beautiful, and the sea is so warm you can swim even if its a bit cool out!

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
USA
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubrovenik in October

Let me footnote that saying I avoided it in July and August because of the crowds and heat, not because its less beautiful in any way. Btw, I would escape to Mljet :)

Mentioned in this post
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubrovenik in October

thank you Joannacarlton and marzbar9 - will come early Oct. Does anyone know if it is possible to stroll (and I mean stroll !) from Hotel Croatia in Cavtat into town of Cavtat to restaurants and shops -or is there a bus from Hotel Croatia into the town or how about taxi fares ?

Mentioned in this post
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
8. Re: Dubrovenik in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2006, 15:10
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubrovenik in October

Hi, You probably will get very pleasant weather in the mid 20s but you risk a little rain, wind etc. Bring a jacket to wear at night if you plan to sit out in bars and restaurants. The weather in Medugorje should be similar to Dubrovnik. With any little bit of luck the weather should be like nice summer weather in Ireland or England. Good luck. Don.

Mentioned in this post
Medugorje
Medugorje
510 Reviews
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
England
England
United Kingdom
USA
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubrovenik in October

Oh, I didnt see this before: Does anyone know if it is possible to stroll (and I mean stroll !) from Hotel Croatia in Cavtat into town of Cavtat to restaurants and shops -or is there a bus from Hotel Croatia into the town or how about taxi fares ?

It is just a stroll away (under 10min)! You can take the path down stairs to the shore and walk that way to town or if stairs pose a problem you can take the road leading to Hotel Croatia into the town. See this map: cavtatportal.com/images/…cavtat_map1.jpg

You can see the white path along the shore, and the white path that diverges a little but then ends up by the town again (its probably only 2min longer). The map makes it look far away, but you dont know how small of a town Cavtat is. Look at the size of the hotel, its half of that peninsula! I think Albatros and Epidaurus are a longer walk away from the town.

I only mention the "road" way from hotel Croatia into town because I think someone on this board was once complaining about all the stairs leading to the beach. Its because the hotel is on a hill (which gives great views, by the way).

Mentioned in this post
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia