We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

Hi

We will be arriving this Thurs by hire car into Dubrovnik and staying at the Excelsior for 3 nights.

Is it easier to be car free in Dubrovnik and rely on hotel shuttles or taxis - or does having a car give me more freedom?

I'm travelling with my husband and 3 year old. daughter.

Thanks.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

Hi

it depends on what you plan to do in Dubrovnik.Alot of previous posts have mentioned how difficult it is to get a parking space in the old town.If you plan to explore the local area,say Cavtat for instance,this can be done easily by public bus or boat service.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

Thanks micdev.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
43,506 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

Just hire a car if you plan on driving to a place like Mostar or Kotor. No need to have one in my opinion if you are just staying in Dubrovnik itself. The bus network is great and you can always use the taxis if need be.

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

The only problem with having a car in Dubrovnik is the parking. I don't know if the Excelsior has a garage (and how expensive it is) but it is very hard to find parking in that area. If you can solve your parking problem (and don't mind paying for it) then a car is useful to explore the area, but it is not needed as public transportation is quite good. As mentioned above, you can rent a car for the day if you want to take a day trip.

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

When we saying at the Hilton, we parked our car in the garage, I was about £30 a day iirc and we didn't need it at all! I'd avoid taking a car to Dubrovnik personally.

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
522 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

We would avoid a car as well. Getting around is really easy.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

Excelsior has a parking and it should be about 20 E per day which is not bad. Car enables you to visit the area and, since you are coming this Thursday, you can visit the surroundings while there are still no big crowds.

There is also a big public garage not too far away.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
345 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

A car is not necessary to get around in the local vicinity....there are plenty of buses, boat trips and organised coach trips available. The airport is not far from the main tourist accommodations.

However, if you are self catering, wanting to stay at some of the prettier 'out of town' waterside locations, or want to explore further afield in the area at your own pace, then driving is extremely useful..... and extremely easy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

I'm considering going to the wine country in Peljesac Peninsula. Should I rent a car or go by bus? Is there a ferry from Dubrovnik to this area?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Having a car in Dubrovnik - a help or a hinderance?

You should drive the Peljesac wine road, with a stop in the lovely village of Ston. In my own personal opinion the drivers here are insane and speed is the norm. They will also pass on a blind curve, no problem. I do not drive here, I am a coward. Driving highway 1 in CA was much easier the the coast road. However do stop along the way for the views, the trip is fantastic.

There is a ferry from Dubrovnik to Korcula, then another ferry ride over to Orebic. Takes much longer and you need to check the schedule, ferry does not run daily.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik