We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik to where?

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey, UK
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovnik to where?

Hi,

We're thinking of visiting Dubrovnik for approximately 1 week in late June, staying at the Dubrovnik Palace, and then perhaps visiting Korcula or other islands while in Dubrovnik. For our second week we'd like to travel somewhere nearby in Croatia or nearby (Montenegro?) that is relaxing/peaceful, with nice scenery & good food.

Do you have any suggestions of where we should start to look? We were originally thinking of spending the second week in Istria but have been advised that the travel time between the 2 destinations is about 8 hours driving and that's something we don't want to do.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

After Dubrovnik the only place which could please you would be island of Hvar, since you do not wish to travel up north to Rovinj. From Dubrovnik you can take ferry to Hvar and enjoy the ride without need of driving.

And if you don't like that option,and you like to just relax in a good hotel with nice restaurants, the only place nearby is Budva in Montenegro, with nearby city of Kotor which you could visit as well and return to Dubrovnik for your flight back.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

Instead of just visiting Korcula from Dubrovnik, why not stay there for awhile?

Jersey, UK
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

Thank you both for your replies. It's great that you've both taken the time to reply so quickly!

Tihi, ideally we would like to have visited Rovinj - it was our first choice. Maybe what we'll do is look into splitting the travel into stops and visit other places of interest on the way, staying over night somewhere? Would you recommend this approach??

Barry, must admit Korcula might be an option. I haven't really done any research into that island but will definitely take a look!

Thanks again.

Andy

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

Hi Randy, in addition to what Barry has suggested, I can recommend you to look at this site with great hotel in Korcula, it is unique of its kind in the world, and if you can afford it please do so

http://www.lesic-dimitri.com/

you will also find several other information about the island

About splitting your journey - if you like to relax than do not split it, Croatia is full of varieties and you can always come back to discover more! It depends what kind of holidays you like of course, therefore, all combinations are possible.

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

I think Hvar or Rovinj would be great options for your second week. I know you don't want to travel too far, but perhaps you can fly into Dubrovnik and then out of Split, Pula, or Zagreb so that you do not have to backtrack. It might then be worth the 1 day of travel to have a week in Hvar or Rovinj. Kocula is also very nice, but I think you would be bored there for a whole week, unless you just plan to relax on the beach.

California
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

If you want to stay in Croatia, hop on the local ferry boats head to Hvar for a couple of days then to Split and day trip from there. Hvar will be like a vacation from a vacation a small beautiful village. Once in Split there are other day trips to make from there.

Edited: 14 April 2010, 18:20
Jersey, UK
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

Everybody. Thank you so much for your help. You are all legends. We're now looking at a mixture of your suggestions :-) A week in Dubrovnik, 4 nights in Budva/Kotor, and 3 nights in that fantastic looking hotel on Korcula island (nice recommendation!), with a visit to Hvar no doubt!

Cheers - Andy

Leeds
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

Hello there,

I read this conversation with great interest and wondered if you could also help me?

My boyfriend and I want to get return flights to Dubrovnik in August and then travel round the islands for a fortnight. However, as we've never been to Croatia before we were hoping to just book a few nights accomodation in Dubrovnik and then find accomodation while we are out there depending on where we decide to go.

Would you say this is realistic? Or at this time of year, should we make a plan and book all our hotels from the UK?

Thanks, Chloe

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

Great Andy, I'm happy for you, that's great holidays you are about to have! And by the way, that hotel in Korcula is owned by a British gentleman who just had a great vision, I hope you will enjoy it !

And Chloe, I would always suggest everyone to book in advance, it is not impossible to find acommodation but you will always pay more if you just hop in. Also, very often you will have to stay somewhere just because you have to and not because you like to, so it depends of your type and type of holidays you wish to have. If you are looking for an adventure then go for it :-) Cheers to all.

Leeds
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubrovnik to where?

Thanks!

Having read the post further, we are going to book in advance too. Return flights to Dubrovnik are cheaper than flying into Dubrovnik and out of Split so we are now going to do a big circle, Dubrovnik - Korcula, Lastovo, Mljet, and back to Dubrovnik, if this doesn't sound like such a great plan it would be great to hear your thoughts, otherwise, have a great time in Croatia everyone!

Chloe