We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hours in Dubrovnik

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
7 hours in Dubrovnik

We are on a cruise in May. Have 7 hours to 'see it all'. Should we book a tour from the ship? Should we hire a guide when we get there? Or do we go solo and where....our intention is to come for a holiday one day and see it properly.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

7 Hours is enough to visit main cultural monuments, the tour takes 2 to 2,5 hours, so it depends of how you like to spend your time. Perhaps being on your own and enjoying a nice fish lunch isn't bad idea at all, but you will miss the part of learning about Dubrovnik. Don't even dream to get the guide for yourself just like that, it is high season for them in May and all will be busy with cruise ships. Cheers and hope you enjoy.

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

It is probably not necessary to take the tour arranged by your cruise ship. The Old Town is quite small and can be explored on your own. If you would like a walking tour of the town, then I would make sure to arrange one in advance. You should be able to find information online (or on this forum) about walking tours and you can compare prices with your cruise's tour. As mentioned above, I would also be sure to take some time to relax and enjoy the Old Town. Lunch in town is a good idea and maybe a coffee on the Stradun.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

Cruise lines shore excursions are not very good and priced way too high. You can walk around the old town easily on your own and see the sights. However, in my personal opinion, it is always better to have a private tour guide and hear about our many wonderful museums, churches and national treasures and perhaps capture some of the essence of Dubrovnik. I also do not believe that you will "see it all" in 7 hours. Again this is only my very own personal opinion.

Dobrodosli to Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

I agree that it is best to get a private guide to get the most!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik has 4 official monuments which are included in almost every common city tour : Franciscan monastery, Dominican monastery, Rector's Palace and the Cathedral as MUST SEE when you are in the city.

Apart of these 4 there are many other places you can visit after the guided tour i.e.,church of St. Blas or the Maritime Museum, Ortodox Church or just walk the upper streets and discover their beauty. All of this can be done within 7 hours, and even more than that.

If you like to book the guide please visit their site

http://www.vodici-dubrovnik.hr/eng/

Cheers and hope you will enjoy your visit.

USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

Hello,

What private guide would you suggest? We are looking at Avansa Travel, do you know of them?

Thanks,

Karen Davidsaver

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

The site which I posted before

http://www.vodici-dubrovnik.hr/eng

gives you list of all official licensed guides so you can choose any of them and contact them directly, you don't need to use travel agency for that. Hope you enjoy your stay.

USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

There are a bunch of guides listed, which 3 would be the best for an all day tour? Should I contact all of them?

9. Re: 7 hours in Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 05:16