We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from Dubrovnic to Plitvice Lakes

UK North Easat
3 posts
Save Topic
Distance from Dubrovnic to Plitvice Lakes

Thinking of visiting Croatia this June, we would like to see Dubrovnic 3 days then perhaps one of the islands and 2/3 days plitvice lakes. Any advice would be appreciated, not sure if to go on an organised tour or do it ourselves, not sure about distances and which islands best to visit, not been to any parts of Croatia would be our first visit. We like some activity but not on the move every day, some relaxing times

Cheers Mogsa

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from Dubrovnic to Plitvice Lakes

Hi mogsa

have you considered where you might base yourself so that you can visit Plitvice?.It is much too far away from Dubrovnik to visit from there & i'd suggest that you travel to Split & stay one night there & then head for Zadar.I'll be staying in Zadar in june & one of the reasons i chose that location is because it is close enough to Plitvice (& Sibenik & Split) to allow me to visit there on a daytrip.

2/3 days is ok for Dubrovnik but doesn't really allow you enough time to take what was my favourite daytrip from there,Mostar.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from Dubrovnic to Plitvice Lakes

Agree with Micdev, it is too long journey, which may take you minimum 6-7 hours. The inland journey to Plitvice includes the ride along the coast to Makarska, and then divertion into the mountain road direction Trilj. After you "climb up"to Trilj, you would need another 2 hours to reach Plitvice. On the way you might explore inland villages, of what we call Dalamtian Hinterland (great shopping of smoked ham here :-)

Trilj, little town on the river of Cetina is interesting mainly for rafting and cayaking (and for delicious young beef :-)Therefore, if you have no spare time and are not looking to buy an abandonded land in Croatia, and are not into churches (there is an amazing 9th century little church of St.Salvation in the village of Vrlika)

- do follow Micdev advise and continue your journey along the coast

happy travel.

UK North Easat
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from Dubrovnic to Plitvice Lakes

Hi Micdev and Tihi 33

Thank you ver much for both your replies, I think I need to look into this a bit more and do some more planning

Cheers Mogsa

Edited: 25 April 2010, 21:29
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,017 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from Dubrovnic to Plitvice Lakes

How about flying into Zagreb and taking a day trip to Plitvice from there and then take a Croatian Air flight to Dubrovnik after that?

5. Re: Distance from Dubrovnic to Plitvice Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2010, 05:18