We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking accommodation for a gay couple

London, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
booking accommodation for a gay couple

I am researching some apartments to stay at in dubrovnik and my only concern is that we are a gay couple - are we likely to have any problems with accommodation because of this? I don't want to book an apartment now and when I get to it in August, find that the owner turns me and my partner away because we are gay! Maybe I am being a little cautious, but I've read Croatia is quite a consevative society.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,065 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

i think that Croatia is conservative, but how open are you...i think the fellows above us were gay, but never really knew. Why not tell the owners and see how they feel. Best to know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

We don't look particularly gay if that makes sense, and a lot of people have no idea I am until I tell them. I guess with apartments though, most have double beds, so it will be obvious that we are a couple to the owner when we arrive.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,065 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

oh, well...

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,065 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

oh, well...still best to let the owners know, if you have had trouble before.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

Hi adam

I think that the usual advice on this forum is that yes,Croatia is conservative but if you don't behave like a couple in public,you shouldn't have any problems.I did a quick google using- gay friendly accomodation croatia & it through up quite alot of sites that should be useful in answering your queries

http://www.friendlycroatia.com/

www.wotif.com/hotels/croatia-gay-hotels.html

find-croatia.com/gay-croatia/lesbian-gay-fri…

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

You may want to try the following website, it has very good information.

croatia-gay.com/accommodation_dubrovnik.htm

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

If you book an apartment in or close to the Old Town I really don't think you will have a problem. Lots of gay couples travel to Dubrovnik (and live in Dubrovnik) so I am sure apartment owners are used to it by now. Without stereotyping, I think you might be more likely to find an open-minded owner if you book an apartment that looks like it is owned by a young or young-at-heart person (something modern and stylish). I would certainly avoid a sobe that is inside the home of a local family.

Zagreb
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

Maybe this helps: www.friendlycroatia.com

9. Re: booking accommodation for a gay couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik