We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancient City Walls

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix , Az
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Ancient City Walls

Is there any need for a guide to do the city walls ? What other tours can be done properly without a guide. We only speak English.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ancient City Walls

no need for a guide at all in my opinion.You can just walk & take in the views or hire an audio guide if you want all the info as you're doing the walk.

Buy a good guide book for Dubrovnik & again,the old town can be easily explored at your leisure & at your own pace

Phoenix , Az
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ancient City Walls

Thank you very much Al

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ancient City Walls

We have never had a guide in all the times we have walked the walls. I am sure if you would get a guide they would give you lots and lots of information on the things you see and the history of it all. So if you would want an in depth take on the walls, then hire a guide. If not, just do some background work and have an idea what you will see.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ancient City Walls

The other day I was looking at photographs taken on a trip to Dubrovnik by a tourist. I noticed that many of the photos were labeled with no actual description other than "walking the wall." It made me realize that so many tourists come here and don't bother to hire a guide. They walk about town, take photos and have no idea of the name of the church, what kind of history a building may have and the entire album is titled "Dubrovnik."

Walking the walls you can stop at the high point which is called Minceta, then you are looking down at St Clairs convent, the Dominican Monestary, and on and on. Sveti Spas, one of the 3 original buildings to survive the 1667 earthquake.

No there's no need for a guide...

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ancient City Walls

FYI, arriving guests to Dubrovnik. The walls are now officially open for high season, daily from 0800 until 1900. These hours will remain until daylight hours begin to fad, probably changing again in September to shorter times.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ancient City Walls

I completely agree with Barry and Dubrovniktravellady! Dubrovnik is one of those multi-layered historic towns with fascinating history that simply ask for a quality guide! Besides, all the guide books are written by foreigners and prove to be so poor with details of our life here and focus mostly on dates, certain names, services...

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ancient City Walls

It has always been my experience those so called "guide" books are not only written by some who never even been here, they are boring! The essence of our town is our lifestyle, not dates and names of foreigners who built such and such. I often stop to listen to some of the tour guides, many of them have bored me within minutes with facts, dates and names. It's best to find someone who can show you the hidden gems.

8. Re: Ancient City Walls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2010, 05:17