We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food in Croatia

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
food in Croatia

I've heard mixed reviews on the food in Croatia (mostly negative, actually)O. Food is a very important part of traveling for me, and it kind of to be good in order to me to enjoy my vacation. What do the other foodies think about it? Is the quality of the ingredients good? The preparation? Particularly I'm thinking about Dubrovnik, Hvar and Bol.

Thanks

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food in Croatia

imo,somebody has given you wrong info,Croatia is right up there & ahead of many other European countries for the quality of it's food,particularily seafood.As with every country you may find restaurants that don't reach a standard you are happy with but in previous trips to Croatia i can honestly say that has happened to me only once & i would gladly go back to all the other restaurants i have previously eaten in there.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
331 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food in Croatia

Hi

I'd agree with micdev and say that we've never been disappointed with eating out in Croatia. The fruit and vegetables have much more flavour than anything we can get here, unless it's been home-grown. Meat is excellent too. I can't write about Hvar and Bol but have been to Dubrovnik on 4 holidays and various other places on the Damamtian coast and there is nowhere that we'd not go back to.

California
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: food in Croatia

If you do not like fresh vegetables, fruits or great seafood along the coast and if you do not like fresh Mediterranean food then the Dalmatian coast is not the place for food.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food in Croatia

Thanks for the thoughts! I love all that stuff - fresh produce, vegetables and seafood, but have heard from other travelers here in NYC that the food was not impressive and that there was little seafood because the waters were over-fished.I guess that's not the case! Can you recommend some restaurants in Dubrovnik?

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food in Croatia

I would say that the food choice is fairly limited but the food is good fresh simple but not cheap.

Levanat was the best meal we had. Excellent mushrooms in a creme sauce and deep fried lettuce and cheese to start were some of the more unusual starters. A great view over the bay towards the Dubrovnik Palace Hotel.

Yacht Club Orsan is by the harbour overlooking the small marina and near Hotel Lopud. Much more reasonable and a lovely setting. The saturday night we were there, they had a live 2 piece playing good music.

If you are looking for something with a view of the old city I would avoid Nautika which is way over priced and instead go for Orhan which is tucked away in a side street.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food in Croatia

Maybe your friend was thinking of further south ... around Greece where over fishing does occur .... but of course there is still seafood available.

I usually look for restaurants off the tourist trail, places where the locals go you'll usually always find great food at reasonable prices.

If you have the opportunity try meat/vegetables which have been prepared in a peka - kind of like roasted in a clay or cast iron cooking vessel and it is cooked with charcoal both under and above it. Tasted amazing. As did the roast lamb eaten minutes after being taken off the spit.

Just returned from Croatia and am quite a foodie. I'd go back in a flash. The quality of the ingredients of everything we ate was exceptional. My only comment would be that much of the food is high in fat ... but I figure you only live once and if you're on holidays a little indulgence is okay.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: food in Croatia

Local Dalmatian food is not fancy, very basic and simply prepared. Our fresh fish is excellent and no our waters are not over fished. You may not have many choices of the over the top places to eat, but do try the restaurant located in the Hotel Bellevue, it is excellent. You also can visit Gils, a french take on our local foods and a bit pricey for locals but also very good.

If you want to try a restaurant which local residents like, then by all means visit Komarda just outside the Ploce gate. My favorite dish is the grilled baby Adriatic squid and I can't get enough of this wonderful dish.

The wine selection here is one of the best, we have good white and are noted for our "Mali Plavac" grapes.

By the way, do avoid the Nautika - over priced and terrible service.

Orhan is good and located at the waters edge in Pile Bay.

zagreb
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: food in Croatia

My favorite place is the "Kamenica" on the "Gunduliceva poljana" near Pucic Palace hotel, very simple cuisine, always fresh and unfortunately always have to wait for a free table, another favorite place is "Peskaria" in the old port. For an excellent sandwich with homemade bread and smoked ham and cottage cheese in olive oil is the best sandwich bar "Škola" in one of the streets that intersect Stradun on the left if coming from the "Pile" gate. Frankly I do not like fancy restaurants and places that serve small portions of food beautifully decorated where after 4 plates I stay hungry.....People say it's a very good restaurant "Galija" in Cavtat, but I do not know personally because I have never been there.. hm, writing this, I became hungry :)

…blogspot.com/2006/09/dubrovnik-lokanda-pesk…

www.galija.hr/restoran/index.php…

croatiatraveller.com/southern_dalmatia/Dubro…

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food in Croatia

Though I love Croatia, I am of the opinon that the food is not that great. Meat cooked under the iron bell is one of the best things they do and the grilled fish is good, but very expensive. A portion of fresh grilled fish when sold by the kilo can cost 25 to 30 Euros per person. Everything is prepared very simply with just olive oil and salt, and sometimes garlic. 90% of the restaurants in Dubrovnik have the exact same menu, so after a few days you have tried everything and there is little choice. The fact that one of the most popular restaurants with tourists in Dubronvik (Nishta) is a vegetarian restaurant that mostly serves Asian food shows that even visitors get tired of Croatian food after just a couple of days. I do not think that Croatian food is bad, but in my opinion it just does not compare to Italian, French, or even Greek.

That said, there are a few good restaurants in Dubrovnik and visitors should definitely try the local specialties. For Bosnian food try Taj Mahal in the Old Town. For a more upscale fish meal, try Proto. Another good somewhat upscale restaurant just outside the Old Town is called Sesame.

zagreb
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: food in Croatia

as CaliCourtney said that the Croatian food is served very simply with olive oil and sea salt, sometimes with a little parsley and garlic but that is the charm of Croatian cuisine to feel the natural flavor of fish, meat or vegetables ... which are so delicious that they do not need any dressing or sauces in order to improve the taste, of course Croatian cuisine can not compare with the Italian, whom I consider the best in the world but it certainly feels its influence in Croatia.