We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best places to visit in croatia

Stellenbosch, South...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
best places to visit in croatia

its our first visit to Croatia, and we have 6 days to cover the highlights. any suggestions on what i should include? I plan to spend 2 nights in Plitvice, but undecided on where to spend the other 4 and whar day trips to plan. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are coming in via ferry to Split.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,222 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best places to visit in croatia

I think Dubrovnik should be a must for at least a couple of nights. I also think that one night at Plitvice would be enough too. So-- two nights in Dubrovnik, 1 in Zadar, 1 at Plitvice and two in Split or Trogir.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best places to visit in croatia

Are you returning to Split after Plitvice?

With 6 days, and 2 allotted for Plitvice, I would spend the rest in the Split area--meaning Split/Trogir on the mainland and the islands just offshore, Hvar for example.

I would not include Dubrovnik on this trip--you can always return.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,759 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best places to visit in croatia

i , personally, would skip plitvice...one of the islands and dubrovnik for me.

Stellenbosch, South...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best places to visit in croatia

HI

thanks for the help. Am i correct in saying that i can do a day trip from Dubrovnik to Korcula?

So, if the plan is as follows:

Arrive Split, take buss to Plitvice

stay Plitvice 2 days

Buss to Dubrovnik, Stay Dubrovnik 2 days

Split 2 days

Would that give me a good taste of the country? What day trips can should we do from split and Dubrovnik?

Also any accomodation recommendations would be great. Its a far travel from South Africa, so need to plan as best as possible, not sure if we are going to have the opportunity to go again.

Thanks guys, D

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best places to visit in croatia

Maybe you should really skip Plitvice and make a day trip from Split to NP Krka instead. That would be nearer, easier and less backtracking than travelling to Plitvice and back, bearing in mind that you will be travelling by bus. Do google for the pics and decide.

Yes, you can make a day trip to Korčula from Dubrovnik.

Edited: 15 December 2010, 08:33
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,759 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best places to visit in croatia

i am again, with jelsa...plitvice is nice, but a long drive to see the lakes. stay closer, and see more of croatia.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best places to visit in croatia

I typed up a long reply and trip advisor hiccuped and I lost it, so could you tell us where you are departing from?

What is it about Plitvice that appealed to you?

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best places to visit in croatia

go to zadar,it is a beautiful city.lots of great things to see,and have a lot of fun

Stellenbosch, South...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best places to visit in croatia

I like the lakes and waterfalls. My husband loves the outdoors and hiking, so i thought that would be a good place to do it. I will check out the other np closer. we are arriving and departing from Split.

Another question, would you recommend renting a car, or rather relying on the bus system?

If you are willing, resending that long reply would be great!

thanks, D

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best places to visit in croatia

Well basically I was just saying that only you can decide how best to maximize your time. I have been to Plitvice but not Krka, but in frequenting forums like this I get the sense that Plitvice is more impressive. Dubrovnik is beautiful, but the beauty of Croatia to me is in its natural beauty even more than its historic towns. Dubrovnik is very small, and it fills with cruise passengers.

Trogir and Hvar offer similar architecture and are closer to Split. I just don't think I would do both Plitvice and Dubrovnik because they are both in different directions. Getting from Plitvice to Dubrovnik would take up a whole day, so you've got to plan carefully.

Do some more reading to find out which places most appeal to you. You can find all of the bus and ferry schedules online. The main ferry operator is jadrolinija. Find bus schedules bu googling "split bus station" etc. They have a searchable timetable.

If you go to the main places (all of which have been mentioned here), then there is no need to rent a car. However, if you wanted to do a more rural trip then sure rent one. I often recommend renting a car while on an island to explore, as the bus system on an island is often limited to the main towns. it ultimately depends on your itinerary.

What month will this trip occur?