We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

start in Dubrovnik or Split?

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West of Boston
Level Contributor
54 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
start in Dubrovnik or Split?

We are planning a family vacation for summer. Travel with two teenagers. Would it make a difference to start in Dubrovnik and head up to Split, or in reverse? I am thinking ending with the "beach" vacation after spending time in the city might be good. Also, what are the must do stops along the way? 10 to 12 days in total.

thanks

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: start in Dubrovnik or Split?

You can try this: Split- Island Hvar- Island Korcula- Dubrovnik . You can easly conect that places by catamaran and all of them are very nice.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: start in Dubrovnik or Split?

Start in Dubrovnik and work your way up. One simple reason: you need to get to Dubrovnik as quickly as possible! It's an incredible, magical, special place. You will want to soak in Dubrovnik (rent an apartment inside Stari Grad), maybe do a few day trips (Mostar, Bay of Kotor) with Dubrovnik as home base. Then you will have a number of beach options: Korcula, Hvar, Brac, maybe even head farther north to Pag, or Rab, or Opatija.

I don't know if Split is worth having as home base for more than a couple of days. If you want a beach vacation, you're better off basing yourself on an island or two. If you want to see more of Croatia (Plitvice Lakes National Park!), you might be better off spending a few nights farther north. But if you don't want to go farther north than Split, maybe a 4/4/2 or 5/5/2 "split" would be perfect: four (or five) days in Dubrovnik, four (or five) days on an island such as Korcula, Hvar or Brac, then two days in Split (three if you're going to do a day trip to Plitvice from Split).

California
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: start in Dubrovnik or Split?

Since you have two kids (age??) I would start in Dubrovnik when they are fresh and not bored with the "city". Two days in Dubrovnik is sufficient or if you are near the waters edge and the kids can swim a bit take an extra day. Then head north and along the way is the coast at Mikarska, the Piljesec peinsula for wine tasting and swimming, Ston has incredible oysters. You can take an easy day trip from this area to Korcula for a day on the beach and exploring the city without a car. Make your way along the coast stop in Omis for a quant village, and more beach time. From Omis it is a short 30 minutes to Split. Split has a great beach at Bacvice and is just a 15 minute walk from the city center. Once in Split enjoy the city. If you want a quick day trip take the water taxi to Trogir for another charming village and the express bus back to Split is only 30 minutes. This itinerary will allow for a very casual route north and along the way ample time for swimming and water activities and sight seeing. If you want to take in more islands you can but then it is the hassle of getting from point to point and not at such a leisurely pace.

ivo

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,127 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: start in Dubrovnik or Split?

Either would be fine. To me it would be nice to save Dubrovnik for last- to have the thought of Dubrovnik as you leave this beautiful country. I also think Dubrovnik can be a beach place since there are some nice places to sun and swim in Dubrovnik- Banje Beach being one of my favorite places in Croatia. I also think that a couple of days in Split is sufficient and that you should head out to the islands for some of your time. Bol on Brac might be a place that your boys might enjoy.

5. Re: start in Dubrovnik or Split?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 08:17