We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in Croatia

Warwick. UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling in Croatia

We are keen cyclists and thinking about doing our own cycling holiday in Croatia this summer in august. We would like to cycle along the coast or islands maybe from split to Dubrovnik and happy to do about 40-50 miles a day staying at different hotels every night.

CAn anyone recommend an itinerary for 7 days ( or even a few more )

Also can we hire bikes in split and can we take them back on the train from Dubrovnik?

Thanks for any advice, I have never been to Croatia and it all seems to be such a fab country it is hard to know where to go.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling in Croatia

Sorry cannot really answer your question but wish to let you know that there is no train from Dubrovnik to Split - you would have to take ferry or bus

Happy planning !

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling in Croatia

There are quite a lot of sailing-cycling holidays in Croatia. You may be interested in this: islandhopping.com/bike-tours-croatia-montene… Some friends of mine did an island hopping/cycling tour in 2010 and said it was great.

However I am aware it is quite pricey although the bikes are in very good condition - I often see them being prepared on the riva in Trogir.

Also, a British guy nearly died last year who came to Dubrovnik then cycled in 40 degree heat - he collapsed from heat exhaustion and dehyrdation and fell off the road. Croatia can be very hot.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling in Croatia

Hopefully the cycling expert , our member Kefa will answer.

Yes, the August temperatures are very high.

It is not sure yet if the coastal ferry will run this season at all. In that case you could take your bicycles twice a week from Du to St.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling in Croatia

www.meridien.hr used to do bike hire( and panniers) drop of-pick up but I can not find proper web page with bike quotes.

Split city has few (decent wheels) hire points.Rates at 15eur/day.Maybe negotiable for long term loan.

Any route (coast/islands) around the water (sea/river) will do.Scenery is all around.40+ miles a day for a outdoor lover amateur photographer is doable but may be too much (unless you are one of these statistic number crunchers.)

Bike transport option is bus ( but it's up to a driver to take bikes or not) and coastal ferry ( his fate /summer schedule is iffy)

Stay hi-vis 24/7.

I fight heat with hydration,mineralization,long sleeves,wine and cheese.

(Thanks Jelsa but you know that my expert level cyclophilia is proportionate to other posters cyclophobia)

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling in Croatia

Try to contact:

split-rent.com/en/rent-a-bike-in-split.html

or search google for "bicikli split " and try to find something suitable for yourself. Do not hesitate to write in English.

Rent-a-bike bussines is new in Croatia. You can organize roughly one day for Brač, Hvar, Korčula and Mljet each for yourself.

BTW the best area for cycling is Velebit mountain with National parks Northern Velebit, Plitvice, and Risnjak. Forest shade protects riders from the sunshine and the sea is not far.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling in Croatia

Velebit and Risnjak are carved with unmarked fire tracks,scarce food & water supply,with overnight temperature jolts.It is far from walk in the park.And the sea is far ( 5 buckets of sweat) away.Not for those who are not army ready.Defininitely not for the holidaymakers.

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling in Croatia

Hi, Kefa!

Back in 1972, when Munich Olymipics were on TV every day and the national problem was the gold medal for David Bedford, I worked at a British university laboratory and my neighbour student asked me a very normal question: "What is your best time in a 10.000 m race?"

Every high school student has done it.

Do not underestimate the British!

I recommend the trail : Split - Skradin - Zadar - Pag - Karlobag - Oštarije(Velebno) - štirovača - Krasno polje - Fužine - Rijeka and back to Split by boat or bus.

Warwick. UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling in Croatia

Brilliant thanks everyone for the advice

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycling in Croatia

Hi,

Check www.adventure-in-croatia.com for bike hire in Split.

You can take the bus or ferry back from Dubrovnik or arrange pick up by the same agent.

Enjoy your holiday!

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cycling in Croatia

Please try to cammouflage/wrap up this self promotion campaign so it does not look like sterile spam spree.

And it is against TA guidelines.Kind of.

Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik