We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik- ?- Split

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ, US
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovnik- ?- Split

Hello,

My friend and I are arriving via ferry into Dubrovnik on a Wed morning this summer, and are flying out of Split on the following Tuesday afternoon. We would like to spend Wed, Thurs, & Friday in Dubrovnik, and then Sat & Sun at a beach somewhere, before heading to Split on Monday.

I've looked into Hvar, Bol, and Makarska as possible beach destinations... I think we are more interested in visiting one of the islands, but it seems like it would take almost a full day to get there, either by direct ferry from Dubrovnik, or via bus then ferry from somewhere else. Because we don't have much time in Croatia, I'd hate to lose a whole day travelling, so we had decided that Makarska was probably our best bet.

Does that sound like the best plan? Is there another (quicker) way to reach either of the islands? Or do you think spending a day and a half on one of the islands is worth losing nearly a day from our itinerary?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

You might consider island Brac. It's close to Makarska and Split.

Rome, Italy
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

The quickest way to reach mid Dalmatia islands from Dubrovnik would be by taxi boat. Be sure It won't be cheap. You can try at http://www.dalmatia-express.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

you can also hire a driver. we just did that from dubrovnik to split last week and it cost 245 EUR, we made stops along the way but it probably takes about half the time the monster ferry takes. Also, we stayed in Hvar and HIGHLY recommend it. Also, if you can make your way to Brela, which is on the way to Split, closer to Split than Dubrovnik, there is a magnificent beach there and you can stay there for a night or two.

Split itself has a public beach, Bacvice but although it is sandy, which is rare in Croatia, it is somewhat scummy but it does have a kicking bar scene.

NJ, US
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

Thank you all for the tips.... I thought we had decided on Makarska, which is close to Brela, just because of convenience, but now that the trip is getting closer we are second guessing again...

5. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2012, 14:11
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

Fokstrot, joined today and has 21 posts advertising. Wow, is that a record?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

@Dubrovniktravelady, I think that Fokstrot's friend 'Skakavac' is new record holder with 45 advertising posts in just one day! :)

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

Dear Sid,

keep in mind that Brela-Makarska beaches will be very crowded in high season, especially during weekend! I would consider some of Elaphiti islands (I was on Sipan once) as a nice and a little bit quieter place to swim and sunbath. Go there on Friday morning, I think that you'll have quite enough time to explore Dubrovnik till then.

Have a nice stay!

9. Re: Dubrovnik- ?- Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 05:16