We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

iceland
Level Contributor
66 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

Dear everyone

I do hope you can help since I am getting nowhere, fast. I am planing a trip with my two children, very good travellers, in August. We are planing to fly in and out of Dubrovnik, spend a few days there ( how many do we need?), then move onto Hvar ( can we get there by bus and are ferries frequent? Is two days enough?). Then I hear Montenegro is lovely, however I see most people are doing just daytrips to there? I had earmarked 4 days there, tho, not sure what is the best place to stay for beaches and sightseeing. What would you recommend? Also, is it too much? I would rather not rent a car since I am a chicken about driving in places I dont know so I was hoping there would be plenty of local busses. Or would you recommend Sarajevo for those 4 days since a daytrip seems to be enough for most people to the Kotor/preanji area? And then, it seems like there are only two busses from Kotor to Dubrovnik, my flight leaves in the afternoon, do I really have to take the 8 AM one?

I really dont know if I have a good basic plan or not, dont want to spend too much time going between places but want both beaches and things to see. I hope hope to hear from someone with suggestions and thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Sarajevo
Sarajevo
Sarajevo Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

You can base youself somewhere close to Dubrovnik, maybe Cavtat or Slano.

Than you can do day trips by local agency to Montenegro and/or Mostar.

If you want to go to Sarajevo, there is no sea there. It's in the middle of the continental mountains. 2 days in Sarajevo would be enough (ask at Bosnian forum for help).

You can also go on the trips around Dubrovnik's islands for beach time.

If you are staying longer (2+ weeks) than move to Split area....

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
Sarajevo
Sarajevo Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
iceland
Level Contributor
66 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

Thank you very much, I am looking into that now, does seem like the best thing to do. But I am having very much trouble finding any bus or train tables, do you know of a site I can use?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

Daily tours to Montenegro can be done with some of agencies that people are using. You can find a lot of info at this forum. Just keep reading. Train does not go to Dubrovnik.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
iceland
Level Contributor
66 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

Ahhh, it just clicked when you said that, no trains at all go there, now I see why I am having so much trouble:)

Now, I shall just have to find some bus times.

Thank you for your help, you are very kind.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 23:10
5. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2012, 14:11
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

Hoping to spend 9 days around the Split area in early August and would welcome recommendations of where to stay. Ideally we, i.e. my wife and two daughters aged 17 & 21, would like a hotel with a pool (not rooftop) and close to the beach. I have looked at Podstrana (easy airport access) but is there another area that I should be considering?

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Podstrana
Podstrana
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

might be worth re-posting in the Split forum. Assume you are looking at Le Meridien Lav?

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

Wow - that BalkanViator website is fantastic! :-) Have been looking for buses from Albania to Dubrovnik (over 10 days) for ages. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Albania
Albania
Europe
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

Thank you, just a tip, make sure that if you do not get any results for a hard to find route, try to select all seven days of the week, as some routes don't operate daily.

10. Re: Need a lot of help, have no idea on what I am doing.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:17