We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

Mrs Maximus and I are trying to find a pleasant place to go on holiday somewhere we've not been before for a few days in November, and a friend of mine recommended Dubrovnik.

So, a couple of basic questions:

1. Is November a good time to visit?

2. Is Dubrovnik a good destination if we're visiting Croatia. or are there better places to visit? (as this is a Croatia forum, I''ll be quite content if replies are limited to other places in Croatia, but actually we're pretty much considering the whole of Europe at the moment!)

3. How easy is it to get out of the city and visit scenic bits of surrounding countryside?

To give you an idea of what sort of things we like, without which I realise it's very hard to answer those questions, we're a middle aged British couple, and we like the sort of things you'd stereotypically expect us to like: nice restaurants, wandering around by scenic bits of harbours, sitting in a bar overlooking the sea sipping whatever the popular local aperitif is (unless it's anything like ouzo; I detest ouzo) interesting bits of old architecture, museums, walks in the country, that sort of thing. Discos and nightlife definitely not required.

Many thanks for any thoughts!

NM

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

November might be cold. Many places would be closed in November.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

I went mid October last year and really enjoyed it. Weather was pleasant, but there was a brisk breeze. Dubrovnik is a delightful place for a long weekend, very beautiful, easy to explore on foot. Not sure about Nov, but there was nothing shut in Oct. if you are after sunshine then you might need to go further afield such as Cyprus or North Africa.

My other favourite place in the winter is Italy. Venice or Florence make fantastic winter breaks. I've been to both in mid Dec and Had a wonderful time outside of tourist season. In Venice at night it almost feels you have the whole city to yourself!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

You may want to reconsider your date, as much of Dubrovnik will begin to close down for winter hibernation on 31 October. Better time would be during the month of October, not November at all. Also keep in mind, many historical sites will only be open from 0900 to 1500 during November. Sunsets normally are about 1630 and doubt you are going to find many restaurants or cafes overlooking the water open in November...

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

Thanks for the replies, guys. That sounds like a bit of a thumbs down for Dubrovnik in November. Unfortunately the date is really set in stone for this year, so I think we'll leave Dubrovnik for another year.

Favourite option is looking like Brittany at the moment.

Thanks again!

NM

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,705 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

Good idea..save Dubrovnik for when the weather is nicer so you can really enjoy what Dubrovnik has to offer!

Bellaire, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

Hi Walking the wall surronding Dubrovnik, my question is if I get tired can I go back when I want? I do have problems from time to time with my foot.

Bellaire, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

When viewing Dubrovnik's wall can I leave at different points. I have problems with my foot from time to time.

Bellaire, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

What kind of weather can I expect in October in croatia? Thanks

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

The wall walk in counter clockwise, beginning at the main entrance closest to Pile gate, you will walk the sea side. The first exit is located half way around at the fortress of St. John. East slow stroll will take a minimum of one hour. Do not attempt the land side as it is uphill and the more difficult, especially with mobility problems.

Weather in October? Who knows, we are experiencing high heat and humidity at this time. We are hoping that September and October will be cooler. Last year we could swim in October, the year prior we were wearing fall/winter clothing. Simple answer is hot and humid or cool and wet.

Bellaire, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie questions about Croatia and Dubrovnik

Hi Do I need local money in Dubrovnik? If so how do I get it? Could you tell me how much I will need for a tour of old town and the wall walk? I hate to have extra foreign money when I leave. thanks