We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (Problem?)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (Problem?)

We are driving a rental from Split to Dubrovnik. In my initial planning, Yahoo Maps indicated we would have to take a ferry in the middle of this trip. I thought, no problem. It will be interesting. Now I have seen that this ferry runs a very limited schedule in October.

I'm assuming we are able to go through Bosnia to get to Dubrovnik. Can I also assume crossing borders isn't any sort of a problem with the rental?

How long would this drive take if we follow the coastal road?

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (Problem?)

You can drive from Split to Dubrovnik and pass through a short part of Bosnia (about 20 minutes). Crossing the border should not be a problem. There is a transit lane for just passing through and the border guards usually don't stop drivers in that lane. But have your passports ready just in case. I don't think it will be a problem with the car rental company but I would mention it to them when you pick up the car just to be sure you are covered by insurance while in Bosnia.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (Problem?)

That Yahoo/Google/Mapquest crap does not exists. You will go through Bosnia (don't close eyes, you will miss entire country). Just yell: "HI!!!!!!!!!!" to the border people and you will be fine..

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
53,800 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (Problem?)

You will have no problems crossing the corridor and the worst that might happen is that you will be stopped for them to look at your passports but most likely you will be waved through by everyone.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (Problem?)

Thank you all for the information. I sort of thought this was the case although I didn't realize it would be as easy as described. Wanted to be sure so the wife wouldn't second guess my planning just in case.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (Problem?)

When you run e-maps they assume you don't want to leave the country and the only way to remain in Croatia if you are on the coast is the ferry. The border crossing is very easy - they are very familiar with car rentals. Check your rental includes the green card to allow you to take it into Bosnia (some companies charge extra).

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
6. Re: Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (Problem?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:17