We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia in October

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Croatia in October

Hi, I'm headed to Croatia in October for 2 weeks. I want to do some island hopping such as Hvar, Korcula, and any others recommended, and a few days in Dubrovnik. I've read somewhere that access to the islands is better from Split so my plan was to fly into Split, ferry to some of the islands, work my way down to Dubrovnik and then fly back home to Canada from there. However when I looked into it, this involves a 12 hour layover in Zagreb (or Munich) making it a very long flight home.

So my question is: Do I keep with this plan or take a bus from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, stay a night or two there and take a much shorter flight home. However I would expect this to be a very long bus ride? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Debbie

Durham
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatia in October

Sitting in the bus for 9 hours between Dubrovnik and Zagreb isn't very appealing. At least you could do something interesting in a 12 hour stopover in Zagreb or Munich.

St Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatia in October

I'm also looking at going to Dubrovnik in October and I'm looking for advice about the weather. Is it common for shops and restaurants to close during the "off-season"? Or will it be business as usual? In other posts I've read that the weather is beautiful in September/October and the sea is still warm enough for swimming. Is this true?

I visited Mallorca, Spain during the "off-season" once and it was not enjoyable. They closed up a lot of shops and restaurants due to the decrease in tourist traffic during those months. Don't want to run in to this problem again.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatia in October

The sea is still warm. The weather is usually good, but you can have rain and storms. It will still be busy in Dubrovnik, Split, Makarska etc. but some restaurants and shops will have closed in the smaller resorts, the islands will be quieter and there will be fewer excursions on offer. Late Sept/early October is a very good time to visit in my opinion.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,315 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatia in October

A long long bus ride on boring roads does not seem too appealing so I would opt for the long layover in Zagreb and go to explore that city for awhile before my next flight!

Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croatia in October

I will be in Sarajevo for a conference in October and am considering extending my stay to drive to Split for a few days to experience the beaches and island. I am also worried about the cool weather. Is Split for relaxing or might there be other things worth doing? Basically, is it worth renting a car, making the 4 hours to drive from Sarajevo to Split in October, and then back?

Edited: 13 August 2013, 01:55
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Croatia in October

it is definitely worth visiting Split and the Dalmatian coast as I am guessing that you won't necessarily be in that part of the world again very soon. Split is a vibrant city where you can chill out, drink coffee and visit beaches as well as visit museums and take in some great Roman architecture.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croatia in October

Do you really have to go back to Zagreb on your way back home to Canada ? I might go to the former Yugoslavia in october too and i intend to land in Dubrovnik from Paris instead.

A flight Canada-Paris, then Paris-Dubrovnik should be a lot easier for you i believe.

8. Re: Croatia in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik
Recent Conversations