We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

Hi there, we're a young couple (29/32) trying to decide on whether to stay in the old town or the outskirts of Dubrovnik. We plan to head into Dubrovnik in the high season for 4-5 nights, and from what we hear is very busy just like the rest of europe.

We want to be in reach of beautiful pebble beaches, fantastic restaurants, and the majestic old city. We want to stay well away from the clubbing scene. We're open to suggestions on both hotels and or apartments, as I'm told accommodation is very expensive.

Hope fellow travellers can share some feedback from their experiences. Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

I'm anxious to see the answer to this as well. My wife and I (both 34) are planning to come to Dubrovnik next August for our 10th anniversary and are looking for much the same advice.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

We've stayed in Dubrovnik twice, both times in the Old Town and loved it! It was lovely to pop back to use the loo, freshen up or grab a drink. We would buy local produce from the market, pop back to make lunch and take it down the harbour with wine and beer for a picnic.

In the evenings it was lovely to go out for a meal and drinks, stroll down the Stradun and be back in the apartment in no time!

I loved the convenience of staying in the Old Town and really feeling part of the place by staying inside the walls.

We are returning for a third stay this October, staying in the same apartment, can't wait!

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

The apartment we stayed at was gorgeous, it wasn't expensive, was lovely and clean, well fitted out and they'd thought of everything. Beach mats and beach towels were provided, umbrellas for rainy days, DVDs to watch, books to read. I would definitely recommend staying in an apartment in the Old Town.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

I have stayed inside the old town when I was only there one night, and it was okay, but I highly recommend booking on a side street, as otherwise there can be a lot of noise.

The best place to stay is up above the old town, where you have a view of the old town and the sea, but can walk down into old town as needed.

Level Contributor
1 post
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

stay in the old town you are putting money directly into the local economy that way. we rented an apartment owned by a single mum and her 2 teens helped her run it. clean and not expensive. Yes stay on one of the side streets preferably near to divino wine bar!!! the best place to learn about the local wine in the old town. it can be a little expensive but it is the most amazing place. and when it gets busy head to Lokrum island

Melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Apartment accommodation it is!! Would you all be so kind enough to share any contact details of apartments you enjoyed while in the old town, Dubrovnik. Thank you

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

We stayed at Apartment Nike, owned by a local family. They have great reviews on Tripadvisor. It is in a quiet alley between Stradun and Gundulić Market (down the courtyard where Marco Polo Restaurant is). We never had any problems with noise.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 07:50
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

I would stay in apartments in the streets above the old town - still in older buildings but with great views of the walls and city below - these are the apartments where you get your daily dose of step aerobics!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

thank you all for your contributions

10. Re: Dubrovnik? old town or outskirts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik