We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
93 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

We are arriving in a week. I know this is a peak travel season, so it will be crowded. My question is should we walk the walls when they open or before they close? Is the 8 am morning light better for photographs or the evening light 6:30 pm (18:30) better? Appreciate your opinions.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

I have no idea about the light quality but we walked the walls in the morning as soon as they opened and it was great. It can take 2-3 hours if you want to take it leisurely so you would have to make sure you left enough time at the end of the day. We enjoyed walking the walls early before things got too busy and it became too warm. My camera broke when we were up there so I didn't get many photos which is tragic. We will just have to go again.

Herts
Level Contributor
312 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

We also walked the walls in the morning which resulted in amazing photos and meant we could take our time,stopping for drinks etc. One evening we went through the wall to Buza bar which provided us the opportunity to take sunset pictures along the walls and out to Lokrum in amazing light with all the swallows gathering. My son is doing A level photography and these 2 activities really added to his portfolio. He also took amazing long exposure shots during the day at the bay below St Laurence Fort and of The Stradun during the evening. Hope this helps.

Peregian Beach...
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

We walked the walls too in the morning. It has been incredibly hot in Dubrovnik so I think go early as the evening is still hot.

London
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

We have just come back and walked the walls late afternoon - a very leisurely 1.5 hours or so. It fitted better into our schedule this way. No crowds but it was hot. My daughter is also studying photography and got some great shots.

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

Would any of you care to upload photos...or if they are up, where might I view them I will be in the city in Oct and I'm an avid travel photographer (for fun)

Thanks

Herts
Level Contributor
312 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

Some of My sons pics

th30ther0ne.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

Lovely! thanks

Herts
Level Contributor
312 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

oops he has included some pics taken earlier in the year at home and in west Africa!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

We did late afternoon, and it was beautiful. the middle three pictures here were taken from the wall: shoshtrvls.com/2013/08/day-13-laziness-conti…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking the Walls - morning or evening light?

we walked the walls about 30 minutes prior to closing time. excellent time to do it. almost no traffic and still daylight. the cruise people all do the mornings and afternoons.