We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Croatia visa get you into adjacent countries?

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
60 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Will Croatia visa get you into adjacent countries?

My husband and I were looking into going to Dubrovnik for a week in October, BUT he holds a Philippine passport and needs visas for Croatia and all adjacent countries. Every itinerary I look at shows day trips to Montenegro, Mostar, and several other places not in Croatia.

Does anyone know whether or not these adjacent countries will allow him to enter on a Croatian visa, or would he need to obtain separate visas for all of these countries?

If we cannot do day trips, is Dubrovnik a place where we could stay for a week and not be bored out of our minds?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
51,274 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Croatia visa get you into adjacent countries?

Not sure but I would think you would need separate visas to get into Bosnia and Montenegro....if you think you won't have enough to do in Dubrovnik for a week I think you should head to Korcula for a couple or more nights.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Croatia visa get you into adjacent countries?

I too would think seperate Visa would be needed. There's plenty to do in Dubrovnik. You could look at various trips, including boat trips, to places like Cavtat as well.

Should still be warm enough for water based activities too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Croatia visa get you into adjacent countries?

He may need separate visa, as visa for Croatia will not be permission for other countries such as BiH or Montenegro, but since these are separate independent countries, they may have different requirement for Filipino nationals.

As to being bored in October in Dubrovnik, I was there one October many years ago and the water was warm enough to swim on a sunny day on October 13, 1996, but the rest of the week it rained or was cloudy, but despite that and virtual absence of tourists from the city I was not bored. However, I guess, this is a personal preference-type situation.

For other things within Croatia close to Dubrovnik, in case you are "bored" during your stay, here are the options:

- visit Cavtat and Konavle south of Dubrovnik.

- visit Peljesac, major wine growing region of Croatia with grape picking likely going on around the time of your visit.

- Korcula island and city is close to Peljesac, reachable by bus/ferry, presumptive birthplace of Marco Polo, who may or may not have travelled to China many centuries ago.

- Mljet island and national park, very nice in almost any weather, though on the quiet side.

-Ston on foot of Peljesac peninsula, THE place in Croatia for mussels/oysters.

-Lokrum and Elafiti islands close to Dubrovnik

If you are the more active or adventure holiday type of traveler, there are adventure tourist companies organizing kayaking and other stuff in and around Dubrovnik. Google words dubrovnik and adventure and take a pick.

I was during my mostly rainy week in Dubrovnik in October of 1996 just happy to be in this very beautiful city, sitting in cafes and doing some walking in and around the city, and coming from NYC (Manhattan) at the time it was all I needed, given the crazy usual life I had in NY.

As I have said in many of my responses to prospective travelers to Croatia in the past, many make the mistake of zipping around too much to see as much as possible, and the real effect of Croatia can be felt best when staying for at least a week in one place. You have the opportunity that this place be Dubrovnik, and I consider you very lucky. In your place I would not plan to do much more until you get there and see things for yourself.

4. Re: Will Croatia visa get you into adjacent countries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:18