We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

HI

We are looking at travelling to Croatia next Sept and I feel so overwelmed with info I dont know where to start.

How many days to you need to do this place justice? Realistically we have around 7-10 days max

In this time frame what places would you include? We have two daughter who will be 9 and 12 at this point.

Would you suggest we hire a car or not?

thanks for any advice at all!!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,785 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

I would choose 3 locations only so that you aren't constantly travelling. Car hire may be an option as there will be 4 of you so you won't necessarily gain by using public transport. However, you need to be happy driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. Do you have any must-see items - Dubrovnik? Plitvice lakes? Istria? If so, I would build the holiday around those. Or, will you enter the country at a particular point such as flying into Zagreb, coming from Italy etc. All these things will help build the holiday.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

HI Jude

The only place that I know I definately want to see if Dubrovnik. Not sure about the other places.

Not sure if we will fly into Croatia from paris or from somewhere north of Italty at this point.

Is it possible to fly from say Venice to Dubrovnik?

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

In summer season you have direct flight from Dubrovnik to Venice, but you can also fly over one of hub airports, e.g. Frankfurt.

Istria is far closer from Venice than from Dubrovnik. There are ferries from Venice to Porec and Rovinj.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

Since travelling with children always includes some education, at least in my opinion, you might want to have a base somewhere, and tour around. Something for that would be either in Istria or Zadar area. Both offer history and nature (beaches included), with Pula in Istria offering very much in terms of ancient Roman remnants (one of a few preserved amphitheatres, Roman forum, temple, arch,...), Byzantine basilica in Porec, but also some mediaeval churches and towns, lots of nature (Brioni NP, Mt. Ucka, inland hilltop townlets with fabulous views,...). In Zadar area, you could visit Zadar itself (once also an ancient Roman centre, but with viewer remnants), with fabulous mediaeval to Renaissance architecture, but also great places to see from the area: Kornati islands NP, Paklenica park NP, Pag island, Sibenik and nearby River Krka NP,... In Istria you could have a base in Fazana, Medulin or Rovinj, smaller towns with good road connections to all over the region; in Zadar area the base could be in Biograd or Sukosan, or even Murter or Primosten. In both areas all places are accessible within an hour by car. I'd definitely agree that a car would be really good if you plan any excursions.

If choosing Zadar area, you might also visit Zagreb, the capital, then drive to Plitvice Lakes (1.5 hrs) and then onwards to Zadar (another 1.5 hrs). The same can be done with Istria, but the travel time would be some 3 hrs.

September is a very good month, because the peak season is over, except in Dubrovnik, and you can really visit places with ease, with no traffic jams.

For more information, the Croatian tourist board site is pretty good: croatia.hr/

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,180 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

Are you interested in beaches, history, nature, etc?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

H everyone - thanks for your advice. Gives me something to start on.

Barrymanillo - we are interested scenery, little villages to stroll around. Less so on history or museums.

Thanks

Lynette

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

IMO the best option is take a boat trip between Dubrovnik and Split as you will see plenty more without the hassle of moving bags and hotels (if the kids swim well). In Dubrovnik they will enjoy the cable car, wall walk and of course the ice cream! If you drive/ferry choose 2 islands - probably Korcula and Hvar, maybe Mljet if you have time on the way north to Split. From Split I like Mostar and Plitvice as must see's. You can get this in 10 days if you start in Dubrovnik and come out the top at Zagreb or Pula. There are plenty of connecting flights to most European hubs.

Split
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

Hi Lynette,

this summer ( May 2 till Oct 17) there was direct flight from Venice to Dubrovnik on Thursday and Saturday, and every day in the week except Wednesday from Paris to Dubrovnik. Best thing to do: closer to the date (in March or April 2014) check Airport Dubrovnik web site, click on flights and than on "summer timetable" and you will be able to see all direct flights to Dubrovnik.

I also think the best way to experience Croatia is to take a sailing trip on a crewed sailing yacht. Every day you will be on another island, without packing and unpacking, enjoying exactly what you want. It is the best way to be relaxed when travelling with children, as they will have plenty opportunities to swim, snorkel, have fun on paddle boards or to be entertained doing something else - while you will be relaxing.

Rent a car option is also good option, but think do you want to drive for your holiday, think about parking space etc.

Renting an apartment in Dubrovnik or any place near to Dubrovnik seems to me a better option than renting a car. But nothing gets better than a sailing trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

HI everyone

thanks you so much for your contrubtions. Its s helpful when planning

I ahve had a closer look at the itinerary and I think I am left with 12 days for both Croatia and Sicily :(

Not sure if any of you have been to both these places however is this time enough to enjoy abit of both or are we going to be rushing around like mad people?

Its early days in terms of planning but I like the idea of sailing but also seeing Mljet, split and Plitvie.

Assume we would need a car for this? Do you ahve any recommended sailing cruises?

Also if we went to Sicily and Croatia does anyone know best way/cheapest to get from one place to the other?

thanks you so much for your advice

Split
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: time required in Croatia and travelling with children. Help!

Hi Lynette,

seems to me too intense to do both Sicily and Croatia in 12 days, but it's manageable. Definitely it will involve a lot of planning and rushing, but it all depends on what are your plans in Sicily. Difficult to say is it enough time, look at it this way, at least 3 days of those 12 days will be "lost" on getting to - from there, so it leaves you with 9 days?

One idea to get from Sicily to Croatia- ferry from Palermo to Naples, train from Naples to Bari, ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik.

Other is to fly from Palermo to Rome and from Rome to Dubrovnik.

I guess you would like to spend at least one or two nights in Dubrovnik, and you will need to spend one day on visit to Plitvice lakes national park, ideally on your way to Zagreb airport. I could send you some suggestions on sailing trip Dubrovnik to Split, if interested please send me a private message.