We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Dubrovnik

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental in Dubrovnik

My husband and I will be flying to Dubrovnik for 3 nights in late May, staying at the Ragusa apartments in old town.What is the best way to get there from the airport? We plan to rent a car our last day there and drive from Dubrovnik to Sarajevo and then back to Split. Or should we just get the car at the airport and keep it the whole time? We were going to take a tour to Montenegro one if those days but maybe we should just drive instead. If we do pick up the car in Dubrovnik where should Where should we try to pick it up from? I've got most of our trip planned, but for some reason this part has me all confused. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Dubrovnik

I would recommend against getting the car when you initially fly into Dubrovnik. The Old Town is pedestrian-only and there's really no place to park outside the city walls (space is at a premium), so save getting the rental car until you are ready to leave Dubrovnik. Take a cab to the airport to pick up the rental car, bags in hand, and head onward from there.

As far as driving into Montenegro, I do not know if you are allowed to take a Croatia rental car into Montenegro. Sometimes there are country restrictions on where you can take rental cars. So that MIGHT not even be an option.

If you need a tour guide for the Dubrovnik area (driving tour, not for a tour within the city walls, I would VERY HIGHLY recommend Pepo Klaic. He has a website nowadays. If you hire him for your tour, you probably would be able to also hire him for the airport transportation. Pepo is a great guy (speaks perfect English, too) as well as an expert tour guide.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 21:42
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Dubrovnik

We had a car rental last Fall for 3 weeks. We picked it up in Rovinj and dropped it off at Dubrovnik airport(close to Cavtat)

We used ORYX....would highly recommend them....we did go to Sarajevo & LOVED IT. Would have gone to Montenegro, but the weather was not cooperating. Just let the rental car company know where you want to take the car. It should not be a problem. There was not any surcharge and we had all the insurance papers.

GOOD LUCK.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Dubrovnik

if you don't get the car at the airport then you would want to pick it up in Dubrovbnik. If Ragusa apartments are in the old town you can't take the car in and parking is notoriously expensive.

Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Dubrovnik

Thanks everyone. We are picking up our rental car at the airport when we arrive but have decided to change hotels and give up staying in the old town in favor of a hotel that has parking. Does anyone have any suggestions? We want to be able to get to the old town easily but being near the sea sounds nice too. I'd appreciate any help you can give me with specific hotels or the best location. Maybe the Hotel Neptun or Hotel Lapad?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Dubrovnik

You may want to do more research on hotel selections and if they have any parking facilities. Most of them will offer airport pickup and many car rental companies will deliver a rental to your hotel. I would recommend rethinking renting a car just to let it sit for 3 days, it may also cost you to park at certain hotels. Driving into town from the airport is an experience, the road is not a highway but a two lane road. Finding your way around the area is not an easy task. Have your rental delivered to your hotel, head the advise of those of us who have driven here, please.

Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Dubrovnik

Thanks so much for your input. I think we will see about having the car delivered to our hotel. The Hotel Neptun has free parking according to the web site the Neptun has free on site parking. The Lapad has parking too but I'm not sure if it's free. Do you think those hotels would be good for us? Is their location good? I think there are some other hotels with free parking too. It was actually cheaper to get the car for a week than just for the days we use it. Also, we are planning to use it for some day trips rather than take tours. I would love it, though, if they would bring the car to us. Thanks.

7. Re: Car rental in Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:20