We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited Time - Suggestions on Old Town and Wall

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ama
California
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Limited Time - Suggestions on Old Town and Wall

We will be in Dubrovnik in late June. The cruise ship is scheduled to arrive at noon and we want to be back by 5pm, so about 4 hours to explore the town. We are a party 7 (3 adults, 2 seniors, 4 and 7 year old). Mom has some mobility issues and can't walk for long periods of time, especially in the heat.

We would like to explore Old Town and walk a portion of the wall if possible and hoping to get some suggestions on the best way to do this.

Seems like we would need 2 taxis, assuming this is still cheaper then paying for the cruise shuttle for all of us, is this correct? And then take the taxi to Pile Gate for Old Town?

Is Old Town fairly flat? Is there a specific area that we should walk? Will there be plenty of taxis to take us back to the ship?

Can we only walk a portion of the wall? How long is that distance? I am hoping that my mom could perhaps sit in a cafe/shop and wait if she doesn't feel up for the walk. But then wondering how we would meet up with her again.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited Time - Suggestions on Old Town and Wall

Hi Ama, you should get the taxi though it might be hectic in the port, especially if 3 cruise ships arrive at the same time. Taxi ride from the port to the old town should not be a problem (it should cost you app.10Euros per taxi and it takes 15 minutes if you are lucky) to Pile gate. At this tiny square, there will be a taxi stand but you could fix the timing with same 2 taxis that previously brought you from the port, just to avoid problems later on. Once you come out of the taxi, on the right hand side there will be a tourist office so you could get city maps here, they are quite handy and will help you walk around easily.

From Pile gate there is a 5 minutes easy walk descending to the main street called Stradun. As soon as you are there, on the right hand side of the fountain you will spot the ticket office for the walls. The entrance will be marked under number 2 on the city map, if you get hold of one. The steps are very steep and perhaps your mum will not be able to climb up. The total walk would last one and half hours but you can make the half way following the anti-clockwise direction. That part of the wall is facing the see and is not difficult to walk through, once you pass the steep entrance. If your mum can not walk well, my suggestion is not to go on the wall, especially during the heat. Instead, she could chill out in a pretty courtyard at Clarisa restaurant (near to the ticket office). It is very easy to make this place your meeting point.

Dubrovnik's main monuments (Franciscan Monastery, Dominican Monastery, Customs building and the Rector's Palace ) are easy to walk to and you will be fine with time if you perhaps visit the two - Franciscans (with an old pharmacy) and the Rector's palace, and then enjoy the rest of the time having some good lunch. Hope it helps and have a lovely time!

Edited: 29 January 2014, 21:27
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited Time - Suggestions on Old Town and Wall

Old Town Dubrovnik is relatively flat, except right by the Ploce gate (east side) and the streets north of teh Stradun, The wall itself is not "ADA compliant," so your mother is going to have to relax along the Stradun, do some people-watching, and soak in the ambiance. Fortunately, there is no shortage of cafes and (better yet) gelato shops where she can relax while you walk the wall.

Walking the wall is great fun. It's a seep climb to get to the wall, but once you are up there, it's a relatively easy walk. How long it takes to encircle the town depends on how many times you stop and snap photos. But Old Town is not that big and you could easily circumnavigate the whole Old Town in short time, or do a semicircle (water side, rather than inland side) and climb down on the opposite side of town. It is a very short walk to walk the length of the Stradun.

What makes Old Town Dubrovnik great is that there are so many historic churches and museums packed into such a tiny space. The problem is that the city is packed elbow-to-elbow during cruise ship hours.

There are a large number of guides who specialize in meeting cruise ship passengers for personal guided day tours, so that is an option for you, too.

ama
California
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited Time - Suggestions on Old Town and Wall

Thank you both, very informative. Are we able to walk only the "semi-circle: sea-facing" portion? Then I'm assuming half way through we just "exit" the wall and then can walk back to meet my mom on the main street - Stradun? How far would this be then? Reason being is I have my 2 kids as well joining and am wondering if they are better of staying with my mom or experiencing the wall with the rest of us. Thanks!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,051 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited Time - Suggestions on Old Town and Wall

Yes you could start on the Pile gate side, walk along the sea side and exit at the Ploce side....that would take an hour I would think. You would also then miss the highest part of the walls.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited Time - Suggestions on Old Town and Wall

Hi there, 7 people kids, garnd parents with mobilitu issues, I would contact one of the many local tour companies in Dubrovnik to show up at the dock with a minivan and driver/guide! Trust me seen it all to often when a few ships are in town the ship provided shuttle busses are worse than being held captive in solitary confinement....the 15 minute journey takes an hour or more because over 30 busss are waiting in line to disembark people, then at the same point 3 hours later 1,000 people are trying to figure out which line to be in for which bus and which ship and its 100F in the shade!!! So back to logic the minibus driver will pick you up at the ship, bring you to a logical area to get out of the van, in about 15 minutes, wlak around with you so you don't waste time looking for the right wall entry or exit point and bring you back to the ship in 15 minutes also! Sure its more than 2 taxi trips, but honestly with only 4 hours time if you take a taxi into old town..and start figuring out where to go with your kids and parents in tow..find all these places in the massive crowds and heat of late June..I'm being nice by saying it will be 60 minutes of actual touring and 180 minutes of trying to figure out where the heck you are!!

6. Re: Limited Time - Suggestions on Old Town and Wall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 07:22