We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Croatia

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New to Croatia

Hello! I am planning a 10 -14 night trip with my partner to Dubrovnik in mid June, however we don't just want to stay in Dubrovnik (where our return flights are to) we want to travel a little, maybe even stay in split for 3/4 nights? Then head back to Dubrovnik for our return flight.

We are both early 20's and love walking, diving, food and national parks. My dream was to visit Plitvice Lakes however that looks a no go as it's too far unfortunately. I read that Split was a good base for trips to the islands etc but going to have to plan around getting the ferry to and from dubrovnik which is around 8 hours. Advice?

Thanks!! :)

Durham
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Croatia

The islands would be a lot better than Split for walking, diving and nature plus mid June is an excellent time to visit them. Plenty to choose from - Mljet, Korcula, Lastovo, Hvar, Brac, Vis, Solta...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Croatia

Split is the main port from which to go to islands. From Dubrovnik, it's less than two hours by catamaran to island Mljet.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Croatia

If you have two weeks, you can certainly visit Dubrovnik, island, and Plitvice. Narrow down your wish list and whether you have 10 or 14 days, and we would be glad to help with logistics. Do you already have flights booked? If you can provide the arrival and departure times we can also better assist you.

If the islands near Split appeal more than those near Dubrovnik, you can easily take the 4 hour bus to Split and depart to islands from there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Croatia

Thanks for the replies. No haven't booked my flights or accommodation but found a great deal going to and from Dubrovnik, 2 weeks would be perfect if we were travelling around. I'm just concerned about how long it will take to get back to Dubrovnik as we will have to come back on ourselves? So Split is a 4 hour bus journey from Dubrovnik? and if we stayed around Split could we go to Plitvice for the day or is it too far?

Thanks again :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Croatia

After a little more research I think it will be more viable to visit Krka national park instead of Plitvice. I was thinking of starting from Dubrovnik for 1/2 nights - Split for 2/3 nights - Sibenik (to see Krka) for 2 nights, and then catch a ferry to Korcula island for a 3/4 nights, then back to Dubrovnik for the remaining 3 nights where we could even take a day trip to Mljet. Just might struggle with booking accommodation at so many destinations!

Virginia
Level Contributor
251 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Croatia

Have you considered flying into Dubrovnik and out of Split, that way you don't have to back track to Dubrovnik to fly home ? Open-jaw tickets sometimes are about the same as roundtrip tickets, but are more convenient and cut down on travel time.

7. Re: New to Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 04:16