We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8-10 days in July

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
8-10 days in July

Hi everyone,

I am starting to think about planning a birthday trip to Croatia for my hubby this July. This country is on his bucket list so trying to make it happen! I think we can plan for 8-10 days away and that would have to include the travel days. We typically travel on our own, without a tour group or guide and with an agent planning for us - that has really worked well for us. Only time we used an agent/guide was on safari in Tanzania. I had some questions on itinerary and timing, just as a starting point.

Would a trip to Croatia be something to do reasonably plan for without a guide or agent?

We definitely want to go to Dubrovnik, Plitvice, and maybe Zagreb based on proximity to Plitvice.

Any recommendations on an itinerary, how to plan for this on our own and if the timing is reasonable for what we we would want to see /do?

We love exploring, great food, wine, being near/in the water and being outdoors so I really hope I can pull this off! Any help, recommended sites or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

PL

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,705 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8-10 days in July

You don't need a travel agent when you have tripadvisor! How about a day trip out of Zagreb to see Plitvice and then a flight to Dubrovnik for as many days as you need? Dubrovnik is a long ways from Plitvice and Zagreb so it might entail lots of driving if you wanted to go all the way from Dubrovnik to Plitvice to Zagreb by road and you don't have a lot of time.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8-10 days in July

You can defoinitely do it without a tour group or guide. You've identified some places of interest - will you hire a car? The more specific yout questions the better DEs will answer them (and lots of others too!)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8-10 days in July

Well, I was thinking fly into Zagreb, spend a day there, then day trip to Plitvice (how do you recommend a day trip here, car hire? or is a guide needed?) (2 days)

Then fly from Zagreb to Dubrovnik and spend 4-5 days there (there are some day trips from here I am interested in also I think) - then fly back to US from Dubrovnik.

Does this sound reasonable?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,705 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8-10 days in July

Sounds great to me! I don't think you need a guide to see Plitvice so rent a car for the day...unless you rented that car and then continued to Split for a night then a drive to Dubrovnik where you would then turn in the car....just another thought!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8-10 days in July

You definitely don't need a guide or an agent, but you will need to make bookings, particularly if you're planning to arrive after 10 July, when the season will be in full swing! And I am also in favour of taking a car from Zagreb, through Plitvice, towards Split and Dubrovnik. If it's 4-5 days Dubrovnik, 1 day Plitvice, and let's say 1 day Zagreb, you'll have another 4-5 days between Plitvice and Dubrovnik to visit e.g. Zadar, Sibenik (and nearby Krka NP), Trogir, Split, Ston... and even maybe pass through Korcula or Hvar... That is if interested....

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8-10 days in July

OK! Thanks everyone! This is a great start, I am going to start sorting out flight and possible itinerary and circle back - would the drive from Zagreb to Dubrovnik with a stop in Split be relatively easy?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,705 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8-10 days in July

The drive from Plitvice to Split is easy and most of it will be on Croatia's toll road. It just makes more sense to me to keep driving towards Split rather than back to Zagreb.....but then again there are some pretty cheap flights to Dubrovnik from Zagreb on Croatia Air if you don't want to drive all that way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8-10 days in July

I sent you a pm re: Dubrovnik old town.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8-10 days in July

Thanks everyone! Looking at flights now and trying to sort out the best travel/airline options for a multicity journey. Really miss living in Europe at times like this :)

10. Re: 8-10 days in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:16