We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

Rochelle Park, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

Hi All, Me and my husband will be in Dubrovnik in July for 3 nights and 4 days. We are visiting multiple countries so this is one part of our trip. I wanted to know if there are suggestions from anyone about if we should do a day trip and if so which would they suggest? I checked out the cruise ship list and day 2 and 3 there will be many cruise shippers in town. So I was thinking the following:

Day 1 arrive early and do the old town this day no cruise shippers in town

Day 2 go to the beach during the day then head back later for a nice dinner and night out

Day 3 (here is where im stumped) should we do beach again or add a day trip?

Day 4 leave for airport mid afternoon maybe stop over in Cavtat for few hours before heading to aiport. Any suggestion on if this is good idea or not would be helpful too.

As for Day Trips I have thought about Mostar but sounds like a long time traveling on a hot bus. I haven't been very interested in the Montenegro trip not sure why but open to opinions. And also seemed interested in the ferry or bus to and fro Korkula for a day. Not sure if this is too much traveling for a day trip.

FYI we don't like to swim in ocean that much but we definitely want to go t the beach for a day and enjoy the sun but not so interested in going to islands to swim. Not sure if this is all Lokrum has to offer as I did come across this place as well.

Sorry I know through a lot of info out there figured might give you a good understanding on what we are looking for. Would appreciate any suggestions =)

Thanks!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,017 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

For most of those places-Korcula, Mostar, etc...it would be hard to do the daytrip on public transport so you would have to rent a car or go on an organized trip. Lokrum is very near to Dubrovnik and that wouldn't take you the whole day..my suggestion..find a different beach for part of the day and then go out to Lokrum for a couple of hours. Why leave Dubrovnik when you have such little time there...so in the sun and soak in Dubrovnik.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

Hey,the last three years I was on vacation in Dubrovnik with my family.

We explore most of its neighboring towns.We were renting a car.

We also visited many islands and beaches. There is one beautiful beach near the old town,

and its name is Banje. We were on Lokrum, it is nice island, but there is a problem. There is one beach that is ok, and everything else are rocks. Last year we wanted to try one day trips, there are lot of offers, but we love the sea, and we decided for Elaphite islands. If you dont have seasickness, then this is great relaxing trip.

Islands are really wonderful, we had time to visit all, we drinked coffee, we were walking and we were swimming and sunning. We took the offer of Adriatic Explore, price was ok and there were no problems. Islands have left us breathless. On island Lopud we were swimming and sunning on beautiful sandy beach, where our baby has enjoyed playing and splashing.

To us this trip was very nice, sea, sun, nature, very relaxing.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,017 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

And the last post was brought to you by Adriatic Explore!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

You could possibly do a day trip to Mljet and rent a mini-Brum to get around for a few hours. The catamaran (departing at 9:15am) drops off passengers at Sobra and Polace, and the catamaran back to Dubrovnik is at 4:55pm from Polace. rent-a-car-scooter-mljet.hr/eng_rent-a-car_h…

Rochelle Park, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I think we will just stay put in Dubrovnik and go to a diff beach or hit up one of the islands. We will wait and see how we feel once we are there.

Thanks again.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,017 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

That is what I would do too...sit on the beach and relax!

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

I'm from Dubrovnik and I can say that the one day trip is excellent. Especially if you want to go on the three islands tour or in Mostar, which is specific in many ways. There is Lea travel agency and they have all off this tours in package. So good luck

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

We are just returning from Dubrovnik where we spent 4-5 days and 4 nights. We spent two days in town (we we unlucky and had poor weather) and then took a day trip each of the last two. We were also reluctant to do a large tour OR drive ourselves, so we reached out to a few private tour options found in Rick Steves' Croatia guidebook. I can HIGHLY recommend Petar Vlasic (see other threads under his name). He surpassed all expectations. Not only were the sites amazing and the tours enjoyable, but we came away much more educated about the region in general (social, economic, cultural, etc.) thanks to him. Not to mention we did not have the stress of driving or being herded around on a large tour. Please feel free to ask if you have more specific questions about our stay in general. We are sad to leave Dubrovnik!

Rochelle Park, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

Thanks so very much :)

Munich, Germany
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubrovnik this summer 3 ngts 4 days. Should we do Day Trip?

Why not just hop on the ferry and spend the day on Lopud? Sunj is a sandy beach, so different than what you'll have in Dubrovnik, its a nice pretty ride out there, and not that far. I did the Mostar trip with my sister the first time I went to Dubrovnik and the best part of the trip was the ride out there because we were with a fun family...but it was about a 4 hour drive, so by the time we got there we had about 2 hours to walk around, which seemed like not so much time, but in all honesty you really don't need more time.