We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Where to go?

Hi, we would like to travel to Croatia as a couple in the first two weeks of this coming July, anyone know what the weathers like then? We have never been there and are thinking to fly into Dubrovnik, but we prefer a beach holiday with a good choice of bars and restaurants, some clubs and places of interest nearby, and visiting nearby islands as day trips. We would prefer a rented accommodation and hire a car from home before we go, if necessary? Can anyone recommend any beach resorts or seaside towns that offer what we are looking for? Thanks.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,532 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

My first thought was somewhere along the Makarska Riviera....and it will be very warm in July!

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

Thanks, but a travel agent told me that the sandy beaches are on the islands so we'll be focusing our energies on the islands. Thanks Barry Manilow!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,532 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Not all islands have sandy beaches so not sure what you were told...actually sand opus at a minimum in Croatia.....and hard to find sand along with big resorts you are looking for....so....good luck. Croatia-beaches.com might put you in the right direction with sand beaches.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

Your travel agent was partially correct, as in the case of Rab and Korcula, but certainly not on all the islands. As on the mainland, the majority are pebbly or rocky.

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I'm not sure what the word resort means, If by resort you are meaning a big complex of accommodation that offers a reception, pools, entertainment and food, i.e. all inclusive, then we're not looking for that no. Will check out that website, thanks.

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

We are leaning now towards Hvar AND Korcula, is that do-able for a 7-8 night Croatia stay? If not then we will stay the whole duration at one of these two islands. Does anyone know which will offer all we are looking for? Are they very different from each other?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go?

Yes, Hvar and Korcula is a lovely two centre, which we did in 2012. Korcula is rather more 'staid' and low key than Hvar, but the town is sweet and there are sand beaches a 15 minute bus ride away at Lumbarda, or else take the boat to Badija island for pebbles. Hvar is cosmopolitan and much more vibrant (there are plenty of bars and restaurants in Korcula as well though) and in July it will be very busy. For beaches, most people take taxi boats to the offshore Pakleni islands with rock and pebble beaches.

Hvar Town as a beach resort is not really that, as in common with most island towns in Croatia it doesn't have a big sweeping bay in front of a town, it doesn't have a beach per se, aside from a very small town beach, but it is a beautiful place and great fun!

Clubs, bars and restaurants: Hvar definitely has more choice, certainly in clubs, but Korcula will be quite lively at that time.

Trips: Bol (Brac) and Vis from Hvar, Mljet from Korcula, plus numerous inland island trips in both.

Accommodation: Booking ahead essential now, especially for Hvar.

Depends really how much moving around you want to do, and how many trips out you want to do, as 8 days is a bit short to explore both AND do trips, but if you want to kick back in Korcula after Hvar then it's a great place.

Also, think about your accommodation because July as said is busy, and especially in Hvar you will probably have to stay at least 3/4 nights at that time to avoid a surcharge.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 09:46
London
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go?

Btw, the site you gave me for Croatia-beaches.com, took me to beachresorts.co.uk and all the resorts listed in there are in the Caribbean only.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 13:40
London
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go?

Thank you rosebird, when you say 8 days is a bit short to explore both AND do trips, in what time did you do the same trip in 2012? Where is the best place to stay in Korcula that is not too busy and not too quiet?

Thanks for your help

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go?

www.adriagate.com/Croatia-en/Beaches-Croatia

Try the above link, if the other one can't be found....strange, it was a comprehensive site but seems to have disappeared.

We had two weeks, staying the first few nights in Hvar, going to Korcula for four nights, and then back to Hvar for the last few. We had been to both before, Hvar 3 times before, but the first time we had combined the two, before years ago we had gone to Korcula from Dubrovnik. I would stay in Korcula Town itself, we got a cracker of an apartment overlooking the town (sorry, no name) on arrival...we took a chance not booking ahead on that occasion, but it was OK in June. Would research for July.

Korcula Town is quite docile really, with just one strip of bars and clubs near the bus station, which you won't be aware of if you are in an apartment just 5-10 mins walk from the town gate and I wouldn't recommend staying elsewhere on the island if you want to go out at night, Lumbarda will be very quiet! The old town is magic at night especially but good restaurants need searching out, the ones around the perimeter wall are rather mediocre. We ended up at Konoba Mareta most of the time. Hvar has a lot more choice in that department.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 14:08
Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik