We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

Belfast Northern...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

Hi, my wife and I will be travelling to Croatia in Mid August. We are arriving in Dubrovnik and travelling to Split to then visit Brac, Hvar and Korcula and a couple of nights in Dubrovnik before flying home to the UK.

What I would like to know, would it be advisable to hire a car at Dubrovnik airport and drive to Split ourselves or take the bus from Dubrovnik to Split. Would there be any problems at the border crossing for example? I know the bus could take about 5 hours, how long would it realistically take in the car and which route? Looking on Google it could take only 3hours and go via the E65.

Thanks

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,948 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

So would you turn the car in at Split or would you keep it for the duration of your trip? I don't think you will have any trouble at the border crossing and many times in a car you will be waved though and other times you might get passports checked.....it's a beautiful ride and I would say close to four hours to drive it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

If you have a car, you'll be taking the same route as the bus, it takes the same amount of time. It's a very winding road along the coast, so I'd take the bus and take in the scenery. Keep your passport on you as you'll be passing through BiH. Buses run very frequently on this route http://www.buscroatia.com/dubrovnik-split/ The bus from the airport will take you to the main bus station where you can then get your bus to Split.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

It is simpler and cheaper to take the bus.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

On Tuesdays and Thursdays there's a direct catamaran which connects the places that you plan to visit (Milna is on the island of Brač), maybe this can help your plans, too...

krilo.hr/images/Sailing_schedule_DUBROVNIK.p…

The prices are in Croatian Kunas (HRK).

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

I would never take a hired car just for that leg. Buses are ok.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,948 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

Agree that the car just to drive to Split is not the best idea.....if you are going to use it after getting to Split then I think it's a better idea.

Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

HI Guys I am debating to do the same traveling on Aug 26 (Tuesday) from Dubrovnik to Split.

Bus will be simple, but you don't het the scenic costal drive, since the route seem to be going through the in land highway instead of the coast. for that reason I am considering to Rent a car for one way.

Any idea where we can find rentals for one way?

and will there be complications at the boarder with rental cars?

Since the driver will not be enjoy the view, we are considering a hiring a driver to dive us along the coast and enjoy the view and stop to take some photos? Anyone know any good drivers?

It would be great if we can find some one here with the same travel time to Split so we can share a Drive to Split.

Another choice is if we take the Cruise option, is the scenic comparable?

Overall I think the bus will be most simple and cheapest but might not be most enjoyable?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,948 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

You would actually be on the coastal highway for quite awhile between Dubrovnik and Split on the bus and it would be lots cheaper than hiring a driver!

Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

So compare to renting a car ( I think is around 50-60 USD) and bus for two , the Bus would be a better choice I assume. I really love the costal drive from San Diego to San Fran, was hoping for the same experience with a little bit to stopping by.

But if the scenic experience is similar I think Bus would be a no brainer. Unless there is a Bus route that goes the Costal instead of Highway?

Belfast Northern...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hire car or Bus from Dubrovnik to Split?

Many thanks to you all for the replies. We would only use the car to drive to Split, If the roads are winding and the same route as the bus I think we will go with the bus and enjoy the scenery. Thanks again.

Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik