We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when does the summer holiday season start ?

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
when does the summer holiday season start ?

I,m an avid reader of " the rough guides " when researching my next holiday destination .

On reading about croatia with an holiday in mid may 2012 in mind it mentions that the coast can be very quiet between oct to may . We do,nt mind it not being to busy but would,nt want things like boat excursions etc not being open then .

Could anybody give me info on their own experiences of a may holiday there . Were thinking around mid may........ thanks

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

Mid May around the Trogir area is certainly not holiday season. The school summer holidays start early in Croatia - from 15th June to early September and that mid June date is seen as the real start of the season. I love to visit in both May and early June and it is amazing what isn't open. Even the ferries don't go onto summer schedules until 1st June. having said that the weather is often fantastic and it is a great time to visit. there are certainly trips but I'm not so sure of boat trips as most people seem to think that it is pretty cold for swimming.

Someone will hopefully give you a Pula specific answer.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

We are in Istria and Pula every year from around the 2nd week in June. It's a lovely time to be there both weatherwise and without the crowds. Most things are open and operating by the time the schools break up in mid June. One year we were there first week in June and it was very quiet and not much open or going on. I would therefore say that May will be much the same. I have never understood the Croatian policy on this, given that tourism is one of their main industries, if not the main one. The weather is absolutely ideal, especially for older visitors and families with very young children who don't necessarily enjoy the sometimes searing heat of high summer and large crowds. It seems to me they are missing out here as other European countries appear to get their act together and gear up for visitors earlier. In the end it will come down to what you want from your holiday. I'm not sure about ferries but there is certainly a ferry that goes to Brijuni National Park (with a reduced timetable) from Fazana; the buses will be running to places like Fazana and Rovinj etc. You could also hire a car for a few days. I hope this hasn't put you off but if you could manage to rearrange your holiday and aim to arrive in June I think you would be more than happy.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

Pula will not be in full swing by May but will be very much alive. Restaurants are open all year round and boat excursions etc will be in operation.

It's a lovely time of year to visit Kamenjak Nature Park which will be bursting with flowers and plants. Easy to reach by local bus too.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

Pula will certainly be in full swing - it's a working town not a resort. However not all restaurants (especially those that cater to tourists) will be open.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

I meant to say Pula will be very much alive - full swing in June.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

Thanks for the reply,s ,

It looks like what the " rough guide" says is true , although there is a slight difference in opinion between people who have answered my message .

Were actually looking at going to a camping complex near either Porec or Rovinj and would like to go on a day trip to venice also , but must admit i feel a little apprensive now after what has been said . We went to a greek island once in early may and it was,nt fully up and running and were a little dissapointed , it seem,s a shame they are,nt more geared up , because May can be a nice month weather wise .

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

hi. we went to pula in the first week in june last year.weather was great . pleasant t -shirt weather. water ok to swim in and not to crowded.pula was bustling as it is a working town everywhere was open .rovinj seemed busy as well and lot of the boat trips seemed to be running.well worth going to croatia asa spotless country ,excellent food and being outside the euro excellent value

8. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 December 2011, 21:05
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

We are in Pula each May (early in the month) and have always found Pula to be fairly lively. This past May in Porec it was very busy - busier than subsequent Mays but the warm weather came extra early this year. We are going again in May, as always, with no qualms whatsoever. Gorgeous weather, fewer people... Some things may not be open in Pula but most certainly are. It was still pretty busy a few weeks ago when we were there.

medulin
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: when does the summer holiday season start ?

High season its starting from 15.7.

Get answers to your questions about Pula
Recent Conversations