We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency should I bring?

Which Pula hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baumholder, Germany
1 post
Save Topic
What currency should I bring?

Hello all! I am traveling to Pula in just over a week, and was wondering what currency I should take with me? I have been to other countries in Europe, and some take only euro, while others accept their own currency, along with euro or dollars.

Also, does anyone know if a US MasterCard is accepted in the area? Would it work for ATM's?

Just trying to be as prepared as possible before our flight out! TIA!!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,209 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency should I bring?

The Kuna is still the official currency so that is what you should have and I think you should just use the ATM's throughout the country. Much easier than anything else.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency should I bring?

Will we be able to withdraw Euros from an ATM? I'm only asking because we are renting apartments in various locations and must pay cash in Euros on arrival and would rather not carry that on me throughout the entire trip. Thank you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,209 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency should I bring?

The ATM's will dispense Kuna and you can pay for your apartments in Kuna since it is the only official currency. They can't make you pay for your apartments in Euros, especially if you dont have any since you will only have Kuna! They might quote in Euro but you can pay in Kuna.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency should I bring?

barry is right - they might ask for Euros but can't refuse Kunas.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What currency should I bring?

...and ask for the receipt upon payment... They should make you an invoice in HRK. Unless they are registered as a currency exchange office, they cannot accept payment in EUR or any other foreign currency... But of course most of them do, inspite the law...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What currency should I bring?

Thank you for the very helpful responses!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,209 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What currency should I bring?

And it makes no sense to carry large amounts of Euros around when you don't even need them...so have them quote you in Kunas. I think a lot of times they might quote in Euros so people might understand better on how much something is...not many know the value of a kuna so its probably easier to quote in Euros, but again, they can't make you pay in Euros and they all will know that.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What currency should I bring?

can I get Kuna in Uk?

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What currency should I bring?

We get our Kuna at one of the large post offices in city. We only get a small amount to get us through the first day because the exchange rate is better in Croatia.

10. Re: What currency should I bring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 06:18